Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one do you guys like better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Aug 22, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
  2. I can barely tell a difference...:confused:

3. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    BTW: Sweetwater is REALLY AWESOME to deal with...I told them I wanted the bass' action set such and such, and the relief set to such and such, and they did a perfect job. I also asked to have a bassist play the instrument and go over the fretwork with a fine toothed comb, and everything checked out nicely.

They sell the FMT's and they are willing to deal...talk to Jeff Barnett...he is great to deal with.

-pd

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    One has more of a figured maple top, and the other has more of a flamed (tighter grain)...

5. I like the 2nd (flamed) a little better, but will it be an even trade? Do you already own one of them?

6. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I own em both :)

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think I like the tighter flame better too, but it's close. I'd be happy with either one! ;)

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I like the first one better due to the bigger figuring.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like No. 2 better. The tighter flamed lines are more striking at first glance. :cool:

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Number 1's figuring looks better to me but more importantly it's strings are centered over the neck better.

Edit: Upon looking again though, the string spacing seems a bit uneven from string to string on number 1 (hope it's adjustable).

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the figuring on #1 better. It's like flame, but the flames have quilt along the edges.

12. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    optical illusion...the e string looks like it is way in towards the center, but they are fine...

13. Originally posted by pd_5string

Hard enough to find a Fender that plays well, why not keep it?

Ironic how the FAQ on your website mentions FUD.

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    2nd.

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how about this.
    you close your eyes and have someone switch them around. then you pick one (with your eyes still closed of course) then that is the one i am going to trade you for my new MIA jazz.

sounds good to me.
    huh?
    seriously!!!

steve

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I like #2 flame-like wood more!!!!!!!!

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i like them both... I think i may like No.1 better.. but it could just be the camera angle.

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    It isn't FUD. It is a true statement. Most people will say you have to "try a bunch of Fenders before you find a *good one*"

I have tried dozens, and there is usually some odd problem with them...however, the FMT's are very nice (except one came with a maxed out truss rod, two came with high frets, one came with a B string instead of an E, etc.) This last one was the first one I got where everything is great. All systems go. Luckily, I got my older one (by 2 months) to play just as well with the help of a luthier who leveled the frets.

19. Originally posted by pd_5string

It isn't FUD. It is a true statement. Most people will say you have to "try a bunch of Fenders before you find a *good one*"

I have tried dozens, and there is usually some odd problem with them...however, the FMT's are very nice (except one came with a maxed out truss rod, two came with high frets, one came with a B string instead of an E, etc.) This last one was the first one I got where everything is great. All systems go. Luckily, I got my older one (by 2 months) to play just as well with the help of a luthier who leveled the frets.

You're one in a million Peter!

For the record, I kinda like the top on the "second" bass better.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the 2nd one.