Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one..eenie meenie miney moe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 16, 2004.

which one..eenie meenie miney moe

Poll closed Jul 23, 2004.
  1. Urge 1

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Ruin a Fender Jazz

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  1. d'ya reckon it'd be worth buying a std jazz and as i was planning add a p pickup to it like a stu hamm urge...or should i just wait until i find an urge 1, i havent played either of the urges, but i think id prefer the 1 because of the scale and preamp...but thoughts people...

thoght id throw in a poll just for the sake of it

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i cant remember which urge i played, but i played great. felt like it had a 32 inch scale if that helps any, i didnt plug it in but its has the feel of the love child of a fender p, and a kubicki. :bassist: it was quite nice, probably one of the nicest fenders ive played.

3. on a jazz bass a p pickup barley fits that wat i did and i love it :hyper: . i have it wired v/v/ then stacked volume and tone.
    i also have a kahler bass trem on it. if u dont got much money just get a jazz or a p.

4. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    32 inch scale = Urge II bass....and i so want to play one, but cant find one to play... oh well. : )

I'd go with the urge!

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's a MIM one on sale for 200 or 300 something over here at a new england chain.

6. the urge 1 has the fenderised kubicki preamp and the 32" scale, and the urge two has a 34" scale and the horrible fender 3band eq preamp...i might email phil see if he's designed a full kubicki preamp replacement.....the only thing im skeptacal about the urge is that it'd be buying without trying...plus the urge 1 has some rather cool colors, like a baham green almost ;) , and a purdy purple

if i was to get the jazz (which would probably end up more expensive) id change the control plate to a '62 and have two stacked pots v/v and v/t, hey ben, you cant post a pic can ya? :D , if it was to be a jazz, it'd be black with a chrome pickguard and white pup covers

also there were 2 versions of the urge 1, a mexican, without the p pup, and the american which was like stu's

mexican urge 1 - this ones one ebay now $100us, he say's "possible vintage" it'd have to be 15yo at the max, thats halfway there :D
    [​IMG]

American Urge 1 in purdy purple :p
    [​IMG]

Brand New Urge 2
    [​IMG]

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Why did they change it? The new Urge II looks cheap:scowl:

8. well, this is from a video i downloaded from a guitar site about an interview with stu on the engines of creation tour with satch, this is when stu was using the prototypes of the urge 2, and i think the main reason, stu mentions this, that sales werent good enough on the urge 1, and people were complaining "i cant play a 32" scale, its not manly enough" but the urge 2 certanly aint cheap, it was around the $3500aus mark, but i like the looks of the urge 1 better, especially the lack of position markers

9. im me on aim at monky119 to see pics of my fender.