1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which One Gets the Flats? P or J?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasper383, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Precision

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. Jazz

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    You have a Precision and a Jazz, one set of rounds, and one set of flats. Which one gets the flats, and why?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I voted P. P+Flats=Classic Jamerson thump.

However, flats sound good on a J, too.

3. I use flats on all my basses, P-Basses and J-Basses. I think, though, that the "classic" P-Bass sound demands flats.

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    im gonna put some TI flats on my Geddy lee jazz as i dont really play it that much since my Fodera does a better jazz bass sound than it does, but if i had a P bass then i would be putting them on that.

Dave

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There should be a "both" option :)

The precision would get the flats first because I think that's where they naturally belong, but I think it would be wrong to deprive a J of the flats too :)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hope this helps, my setup:

Active Jazz: rounds
    Passive Jazz fretless: rounds
    Passive Precision: rounts
    Passive Jazz fretted: flats

7. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    Both

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I voted Flats on a "P" and I use LaBella 760FL's on my P/J Bass but having said that I think that TI's on a "J" could be very cool.

George

9. P's just seem more *classic(overused TB cliche)*, although like others have stated, flats would work great on a Jazz as well.

10. flats on jazz = yummy!

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Both
    Each bass has it's own tone.
    I have TI flats on a Percision, and a Jazz bass.

12. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You need two of each bass so you can have one with flats and one with rounds. ;)

Seriously, probably flats for the P, but there have been some legendary Jazz-with-flats players like Joe Osborne, Family Man Barrett and others.

One thing I'm finding is that I tend to like rounds on my maple fingerboard basses and flats on the rosewood boards (but not always, no rules here). I like notes to have good definition. Roundwounds have more ringing overtones which sometimes makes for muddiness, but the brightness and clarity of the maple counteracts that. Rosewood is a darker sound so the punchiness and decay of flats compliments that.

But there's a million exceptions to the above statements! Use whatever works for you. Also, now there are many flatwound sets in "normal" gauges so you can switch back and forth without having to change your setup.

13. Voting for flats on the Jazz, cut down on the "zing" factor, add a little "body".

Rounds on the P, add some pizazz to an already rotund tone.