Which one has more Bass, active or passive bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeFunk Machine, Apr 29, 2020.

1. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey everyone, I started looking into active basses. I have a P and J bass that are both passive. I want more and more bass. On passive bass, you can only cut out the treble (tone knob). Do active bass have more bass sound because you can boost the bass and cut the treble at the same time. Thank you for your responses!

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Having an active EQ will affect the volume level inherent to the instrument itself more than the overall tone itself, if that makes sense. The signal coming from the bass will be much louder which in turn will hit your amp’s EQ harder.
    I’ve owned a few active instruments over the years and have gotten really cool hi-fi tones out of them, but really if you’re looking for more “bass” per se I’d look more into finding the type of pickup that sounds best to you. Maybe try out a single or double humbucker Stingray the next time you’re able to.

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Most active eq's will boost bass but this is not always the case. G&L's for example, do not.

zie likes this.
  4. LeFunk Machine

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh ok, I was thinking of Ibanez, Yamaha, and music man stingray bass. Those usually have 3 band EQ.

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Almost all will. G&L is a bit different, they place their bass and treble controls before the preamp making it more of a line amp. The exception is their M2000/M2500 bass. It's acts like a more typical active bass.

zie likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    do you want more bass in frequency with your current bass tones or do you just want a boomier bass? sometimes the pickup placement can give you the latter. For example, an EB-3's pickup right at the neck will give you some boomier lows, and its passive

zie likes this.
  7. LeFunk Machine

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh ok, thank you very much!

8. LeFunk Machine

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I want more bass in frequency. I realized that playing closer to the neck is boomier than playing away from it. Thank you!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021