1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which one is better construction?MM Stingray Classic or US 75 Fender jazz reissue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibass, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    Hello,
    What do you think,which one is better construction?
    I have a US 75 jazz reissue and tried an MM Stingray Classic 2010.Both fantastic instrument and have their own character that distinguish them from any other basses.During decades their proved themself and became very standard in music industry.I dont want to compare their sound because of completely different characters.But how about their reliability and meticulous construction?I think the new Classic Stingrays are better built (6 bolt on neck,that wheel truss rod acces at the heel...etc) in some aspect then US 75 jazzes (although I never had issue or heard any bad things about them).
    I am interested in any reviews or experiences so,tell me what you think..Thanks

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Do you mean which one is better engineered? This talk about truss rod wheels and six bolt necks makes me think so. As far as construction quality, that is an individual instrument thing. Both MM classic Rays and Fender American reissues are generally very nice (and very well built) basses.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I owned both a Ray Classic and a US75RI Jazz at the same time. You're right, you can't compare the sounds to each other. Both were great, both had great build quality that was absolutely on par with each other.

4. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'll say this too, with regard to three bolt necks, I wouldn't trade either my 76 Jazz bass or my 77 Stingray for both a Classic Ray AND a 75 reissue Fender, and they both have three both necks.

5. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    in my opinion the classic stingray, ERNIE BALL STUFF is always the best quality for a machined made instrument.

6. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    There are some other pretty nice machine made basses out there including Sadowsky, Lakland, and G&L. If you mean mass produced basses, then yes, EBMM stuff is certainly at the top of the heap. The nicer Fender stuff is just as good though in my experience.

7. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    Yes I meant better engineered.75 US reissue or original vintage Fender was sometimes criticised about its 3 bolt on neck,but never have heard the same about vintage Stingrays which have the same features.New Classic Stingray models have got 6 bolt on necks and truss rod stayed at the neck heel.It seems to me Ernie Ball started to recreate a legendary Classic bass and crossed it with the latest specifitations.So definitely 6 or 5,4 bolts on necks are more solid then 3 bolts 70's Fenders or Musicmans....but this is just a thought.As I sad earlier 70's vintage basses proved themself and they still around in perfect shape.

8. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    There are people who like and criticize Apple and Wal Mart too, but that doesn't really mean anything... As far the number of neck bolts that are necessary, I suppose it depends on what you are going to be doing with your bass; for some people 10 bolts probably aren't enough. For me, and many many others, the old three bolt systems work fine.

9. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    ha! ha! yes you got me, i did mean mass produced, and i agree with everything you said above.