which one is better? sterling or fender jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by as79, Oct 24, 2000.

1. as79

Oct 24, 2000
    i want buy a bass, please help me!
  2. Welcome as79,

Since your profile says you have a Fender Jazz Bass, why not get the Sterling!
  3. A Sterling would be a nice companion to your jazz!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before you rush off and blow cash on a Sterling, howzabout you tell us what you like/dislike about your Jazz, why do you want/need a new bass, what kind of music do you play, etc.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the sterling is a different sound than the jazz, but the necks are very similar. and the sterlings have more versatile electronics.

6. Having a Sterling myself I dont think that the necks are that similar. The Fender has got a fatter (front to back) neck that I used to like... before I played the Sterling. They are both good basses, but as said here before quite different in many ways.

"And as always, should you choose to accept it, try before you buy... this disc will self destruct in five seconds, good luck!" :)
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Get a Lakland Deluxe.
    The STERLING!!
  8. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    The fairest comparison with a "Sterling" would be an Am. "Delux" Jazz. They both have active electronics and I find that the construction is first rate on either model.

Sound is a more subjective topic ... But I find that the Fender has a fatter/warmer sound. I would give the Sterling an edge in the electronics. It (The Sterling) is very flexible (acoustically) and really cuts nicely in a live mix. FWIW the Sterling is my main axe.
  9. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    Peavey is releasing a new Peavey Jazz Bass. I would check it out.

10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    To tell you the truth, try both of them out... I mean from the price comparison.. Jazz is probably cheaper than the Sterling. But remember, Jazz has 2 singlecoil(J Style) and the Sterling has a Humbucker. So different kind of sound. Play both of them, pick which one has a better feel, neck, sound, tone and everything first. Well maybe worry about budget first but if you dont' have that problem.. Go for the feel and the sound and make the decision you think is worthy. I would get a Sterling but thats just my opinion. Everyone's "TEA" is different. Sterling is my cup of "tea" :)

11. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    hey all,

Interesting thread. I actually own both types of basses mentioned. I got the Sterling about 4 years ago at BassNW and used that for several years. Last year I picked up an American Jazz Deluxe. As much as I love the look and feel of the Sterling, once I plugged in the Jazz and heard the growl (!), well, you know the rest. The Jazz is my primary bass (ol' number 1) and the Sterling is my, for lack of a better word, backup. Which is a shame cause I really love that bass.