Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which one is better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    One's a Jazz bass and one's a P bass (P for Precision). Neither is better than the other-they just have different sounds and slightly different body and neck shapes. You can read all about the differences between them in the Newbie FAQ.

BTW, for the same or better quality as a Johnson (based on the couple of Johnsons I've tried) you can get an Essex Jazz or P bass from Rondomusic.com for quite a bit less money.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    yeah, but my dad won't let me buy it online...

also, is http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480692/
    this an amp or a bass effects unit?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's an effects unit.

Tell your dad that you're better off getting some pieces of gear online. Rondo has a return policy, is well-known and respected, and you'll be saving quite a bit of money (you'll have to pay shipping, but no taxes). A lot of people are unnecessarily worried about buying things online, when in reality it's often safer to purchase online, and you'll often get a better return policy than you will from small town stores.

I'm not saying that you have to get one of their basses- it's just that I had no internet to get knowledgable advice when I started playing and because of it I ended up spending much more than I needed to, and now I hate seeing kids getting their first gear without knowing if they're getting the most for their money.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    You can pick up a good condition used Fender P or Jazz (mexico) or Yamaha RB series bass for around 200. That's the way I would go.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1

Get an SX. The Johnson is what my wife likes to call an "unknown quantity." Dozens of people here have had great experiences with the SX basses, especially after having them set up.