Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one is the right bass-head for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Okay, my alltube, mid-seventies amp died last week... and rather than spending a couple of hundred euro's in repairing it, i want to get sthg new.

I want an amp that isn't too heavy, so it'll come done to a SS amp.

I want to spend about 800€, but i wouldn'T mind if i'D have to spend less.I want sthg which will satisfy my needs, so that i don't feel the need to upgrade again in a year or two. I play indie-Rock in my band, with some "noise"-influence. My Sound is a little like Flea's Sound... not too bassy, with much midrange. I use a SX P-Bass and a Yamaha RBX, and a few Stomp-Boxes.

I need sthg that is "roadproof" and realiable. I don't want Behringer, and i don't think it'd like Hartke.

Which amps should i consider checking out? So far i've got
    G&K 1001RB2
    Kustom Groovebass
    on my list.

The problem is, i have no big musicshops around my place, o si need to order online. And since i live in austria, i won't be able to buy anything which isn't available in german musicshops.

I will buy a Avatar 2x10 Cab to go with (and will add a 1x15 or 2x12 later)

2. I just saw that the SWR Workingpro 400 and 700 would be in my price range... will they be what i'm looking for?

If i play the 400 trhough a 8Ohm 2x10... will it be load enough for small gigs (around 200ppl)?

3. Depends on the loudness of your band. When I first started playing bass, I got by with cheap Hartke 2x10 and a 140 watt Hartke kead. Granted it wouldnt shake the fillings out of your head, but for low level, to maybe moderate levels, i think a 2x10 would be be ok. Right now I use a single 12 that will get quite loud.

Basically, it depends on how loud your band is. Seeing you like a more midrangey sound instead of earthshaking lows, thatll probly do you for smaller indoor gigs.

Im also not a equipment guru like some others around here, so amybe someone with more experience in amps and cabinets will be able to throw some info in here.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It sounds like GK is right up your alley. The 1001RB and 700RB are both efficient and loud heads... just get the most headroom you can pay for, I would recommend.

5. +1 on this. I agree based on my readings, not personal experience.

6. I tired the G&K Backline 350 today in a store.

It was decent, but it didn'T give me enough high frequencies... the treble poit barely had any influence on the sound... is it the same with the higher-priced G&K products?

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am not a GK expert, but the real GK's are excellent amps. I didnt know Backline had a useless treble.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No comparo man. I did a true A/B comparison of the Kustom vs the GK (had both heads for a few days, my local dealer let me test em both out before buying one). The Kustom beat the GK hands down. The ONLY place where the GK won, was less weight (about 10 lbs less). Other than the the Kustom pumps out 50% more watts @ minimum ohm limit, has a much richer, warmer sound. You can go from hi-fi to tubish warmth on the Kustom wear as you can only get hi-fi on the GK. Realiability is about the same from what I've seen. TRUST ME who has tested both heads side by side, the Kustom wins!

9. I know that a lot of ppl agree with you progzilla, but the substributor here in austria doens't seem to be very user friendly... they only ever send small powered combos to the shop and won't send the head unless you're going to buy it.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    GK's Backline series is pretty shabby. Try one of their upper-tier heads and you'll probably hear what your looking for.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ever tried a Trace Elliot? You can pick up a used AH-series head for a good price. Tons on tone, especially mids. Versatile EQ for tweaking galore, reliable, and loud as hell.

12. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    Go for a preamp/poweramp setup. You'll save alot of money.

13. I don't think it'd be too happy with a preamp poweramp solution.. i like "plug and play" and i imagine that once you start having a rack, all the plug and playness is gone and made way for an endless search for perfect sound... until you get back to use a Bassman or SVT classic.

But give me some examples if you can.

Used is a problem too, cause there isn't really a market for used bass equiment in my area. Even on Ebay you every hardly find sthg interesting. I'll keep my eyes out watching though. I think i saw a Trace elliot head (no idea which model) in one shop nearby once. I'll see if they still have it.

14. 1001rb-II. I have one... it owns.

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I spotted a used Thunderfunk 420 in classifieds. If you have the scratch, this is an amp you could rely on for another few decades. I bought mine new, unseen, unheard. It'll be listed in my will :)