1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which one of these amps will sound best?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by damonsmith, Feb 10, 2019.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It will be for a festival, two guitars and drums. The musicians will be good and not bury me, but, it should be a good, loud amp. I will bring my Barcus Berry clamp and volume pedal.
    Rock n Roll Rentals - Bass Amps

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  3. Carl Hillman likes this.
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  5. Man, that’s a steaming pile of crap. It speaks to the times that there are no Peavey amps on that list you could buy on Craigslist for the rental fee and then abandon.

Sound at festivals is always an afterthought, especially for bass. There is never enough speaker or enough wattage. Or any evidence of thought or foresight.

I’d have to see the stage layout and the terrain to take an educated guess but off the top of my head I’d say let the PA do the heavy lifting and yell at the promoter if your set sounds like ass.

6. The Traynor is a good amp IMHO. Not great, but definitely good and should be plenty loud enough. Just make sure to turn the 'sub-bass' knob to zero.

Selim and Povl Carstensen like this.
  7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I've never had a lot of success amplifying my bass using a combo with a 15" speaker. They usually just sound flabby and "wooly".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Do you have to carry it, or will it be backlined when you get there?

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    If you are asking which amp will sound the best, my answer is Ampeg SVTCL and SVT 810.

if your are asking for practical solution, I would go for Ampeg SVT7PRO and SVT410.

If budget is tight, replace the SVT7 with Fender Rumble 500.

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    these sound great for BG but there are much better options for DB

These can't be the only options.

I have success with the ampeg 210av cabs if this is all you got

Ric Vice likes this.
  11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    sevenyearsdown likes this.
  12. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Upright bass? Nix all of that available bass amplification on their site.

Go with 1 or 2 QSC K12 powered speakers and bring a preamp. Infinitely better results.

Seanto, MDrost1 and Ric Vice like this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Thinking outside the box here, I checked to see if your rental service had powered speakers and “voila” they also provide either QSC K10 or K10.2. for $1.00 difference. So you could take your AI and use as a pre or get the QSC K10.2 and use it’s pre. You’d want to check one out with the built in pre. Just a thought. They also rent K12’s

Selim and unbrokenchain like this.
  14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Backlined. I have only one amplified set in Texas or I'd bring my AI head. I'll have acoustic sound for the quieter sections with the volume pedal. I don't mind a bit more 70s/80s vibe for the louder sections.
    The one piece of gear I should have, a preamp, I don't have. I keep looking for a cheap Fdeck in the classifieds.

15. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    I bought one of these about two months ago, it's fantastic. Has that "Ampeg sound" for sure. Standing alone it is plenty loud on its own for small/medium venues without FOH support, of course with FOH support it does a great job as a bass stage monitor. I did a show on a much larger stage than normal for an outdoor/pavilion gig in December and used this it power my STV 810 cabinet, as well. It has an 8 ohm extension output jack. WOW. Really did the job, and Ampeg sound all the way. Highly recommended.

16. Just a reminder, Damon is playing upright bass.

Selim, Ric Vice and damonsmith like this.
  17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    In terms of space in the backpack, the AI head costs about 10 CDs, which could is probably $75-100 since I might not sell them all. This set doesn't need to be MBOL, just not ALL twanky high end! I'd bring it, and maybe even my Upshot if it was a high end saxophone or trumpet trio.

Ric Vice likes this.
  18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Makes sense, see if you can check out the K10.2 it has a internal digital preamp that might work. You'd need
    something like the FDeck unless the Barcus Berry pre for the pickup buffers the input

MDrost1 likes this.
  19. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    HPF in classifieds. Requires external supply. Broughton stuff is high quality. I have the same pedal.

Which AI head do you have? If it has enough power, then why not bring it and just rent one of the cabs? Then you can keep your normal DI signal and such if that's what you are used to.

I have a preamp board that I use with my rig, and with supplied backlines. I always run into the FX return on the backline provided amps. This way I can get in the ballpark with my tone, and I'm getting my regular DI signal to FOH.

Ric Vice likes this.
  20. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I've used one of the rumble combos and got usable results with my fdeck hpf in front of it, but it wasn't a real loud stage. Whatever you choose, if you will also be going through a PA I would make sure that you can send a signal that is before the amplifier eq so that way you can tweak EQ on stage to be able to hear without affecting what they need for the FOH.

Ric Vice likes this.