which one of these basses to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muzfuz, Nov 11, 2000.

1. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    ok so i wanna buy a new bass, and i've got it narrowed down to three choices:

1) Hamer Cruise CRV-5
    2) Yamaha BBG5S
    3) Yamaha RBX765A

I'm really going between the Hamer and the RBX. I know I want a five string, and I need a good heavy metal type sound on it. Maybe someone could give me some input on this? what do you guys think?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's not an easy choice. Both are good, solid basses, with nice looks... The Hamer sound leans towards the Jazz bass, while the RBX765A has a pretty 'generic' tone, perhaps a little boring and faceless, but it should go with all musical styles. I haven't played that particular Hamer model, but I can speak for the Yamaha - it's a great five for the price. I was actually thinking of getting one (I just looove the green finish), when my GAS was overwhelming.

The two are very different - they have different looks, different tones, Hamer is passive, Yamaha is active... as always, you should try them both before buying any of them.

Perhaps the J-type sound of the Hamer isn't what you want in a heavy metal band... but what do I know? Just my two cents.
  3. I have a cheap Hamer P-Bass copy that I'm pretty happy with. I havn't tried the Cruise, but my Hamer has pretty good bang for the buck. (I got it for $150 new.)