Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which One Of These Is A Real Tube Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 26, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i want to get a tube amp. a real one, and not anything that just has a tube emulating preamp. so i found two ampegs but i'm just sort of confused on which one is the real tube amp.

(i think this one only sounds like a tube amp)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6928633/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481753/

(i think this one actually has tubes in it, indicated by it's description)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...7096928633/g=home/search/detail/base_id/43519

i know this is a stupid question but i've always been a solid-state guy until noq so i know virtually nothing about tube amps. any replies or other information would prove to be quite useful. thanks.

2. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Get the VBH. It's all tube! Not a bad price.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The SVT-350H is solid state, while the V4B-H is all tube.

4. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey Supernaut,

The first amp you have listed is the SVT-350H which is a solid state amp. It looks like the classic Ampeg tube heads, but it is an entirley solid state head.

The second amp, the V4BH, is an all-tube head, so if you are looking for a tube amp between the two, this is the one.

Ampeg also makes the SVT-CL and the SVT-2PRO. Both are pretty expensive but are also both all-tube amps. A lot of other companies make tube amps as well, or in some cases tube pre/solid state power hybrid amps.

As I've never owned an all-tube amp I don't know a lot about them either, but I have heard that they are more fragile than a solid state head. Whether this is true or not, I cannot say for sure. They also offer a sound that many people prefer over the solid state sound. It all boils down to personal taste, as with most anything in the music world. I'm sure people that know more will offer some info soon.

Good luck!
    Justin

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i dont think that the first one has tubes.... the second one does, though.

6. daychris

daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    The v-4 is a tube amp, and a good sounding one, but only 100 Watts.....A friend of mine has the other amp you mentioned and it sounds good, but it's not quite like a real tube amp......for the price of that v-4 you could just about pick up a nice used mesa boogie 400+ ......That amp is awesome for a tube beast....I've had mine for about a year, and nothing touches 400+ watts of all tube power......It's unreal.......

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For christs sake, IT'S NOT 400+ WATTS! It's only 300 watts RMS. It can produce PEAKS of 400+ watts, but not continuous.

8. daychris

daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    It may not be, but it's what they post on their web site:
    FEATURES
    Handbuilt in the USA
    500 Watts, All Tube, Class A/B Power / 12x6L6, 4x12AX7 Two Inputs w/Independent Pull Bright Volume Controls, (1=Active, 2=Passive)
    Pull Shift Bass & Treble Controls (Standard Mid Control)
    Assignable 7 Band Graphic EQ
    Dual Patch Point FX Loop (Front & Back) w/Blend Control
    600 Ohm XLR Balanced Out
    Slave Out w/Level Control
    3-Speed Fan Cooled (Off, Low & High)

....It really doesn't matter though...Because it sounds sooo...good. And it is louder than I can ever imagine anyone needing it to be. Not trying to argue, just trying to help this dude get an amp he'll love........C.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    500 wattspeak, big difference.

10. Why is this?

11. Really? Howso?

12. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Okay, let me change my previous statement regarding the relative durability of all-tube heads. I have HEARD, not actually experienced, that due to the tubes themselves being somewhat delicate the amp requires more care in transportation, hence it is more fragile. Like I said... I've never had an all tube head so I'm no expert, this is what I have heard though. In fact I believe I will go change the my first post.

--justin

13. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    thanks guys, could anyone list some other amp brands that make tube amps as well? someone said mesa boogie, i've always been interested in them but i can't ever find an internet retailer that sells them.