1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which one of you is a Tahitian wood carving expert?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What the heck is this thing?
    It's the bar center piece at my house gig.

Supposedly from Tahiti, OLD, solid one piece of wood, some say fertility god, some say death god, it's been in the bar since the early 50's

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Triangle nipples? That's ominous....

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    That made me think of this:

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Check out the forum, Tiki Central. There are bonified experts there that will gladly identify this piece.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There is absolutely NOTHING on the planet that this place can't help with. Friggan amazing.

Thanks!

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Well, I am a Tahitian Wood Idol Carving Expert (T.W.I.C.E.), but I see that you were directed to the Tiki Central forum so I'll let those wannabees take a crack at it first.

;)

7. I don't know about carving wood but I know about laying wood...

8. Isn't that laying pipe?

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's a Tahitian ancestor totem. It's used during fertility rituals. That small compartment near the top...you put your weed in there!

10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I guess you are joking. Tiki Central is very well known, world wide, as the authority on south pacific carvings (well, outside any museum) but since most carvings found today are not religious in nature, but actually built for tourists and collectors since the 1950's, tiki central would be the place to go to identify a particular piece like this. I would hardly consider Sven Kirsten, Bosko, and the guys from oceanic art (google it) to be "wannabees" in any way at all. More like experts.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
  12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    There have been two more posts there, and I think they might have at least shown what idol it is.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd call it solved as the depiction of Garuda. Thanks for the help.

All I know is it has been creeping people out for more than 50 years.

14. BAbaracus

BAbaracus

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynnville, IN
    Haha.

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    for a hindu and buddhist deity that is friendly and comparable to a thunderbird or phoenix, it scares the water out of me, too!

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL.

Try living in the buckle of the bible belt and work where the mascot is a "graven image of idolatry".

:bag: