1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one pedal would you say is the most touch sensitive drive pedal, either OD, Dist. or Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, May 7, 2015.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The title says it all.
    Sorry if this has been asked before!
    :)

2. There are loads of great dynamic overdrives and loads of not so dynamic ones. The dynamic ones tend to be the ones where the drive /grit can be dialled out completely just using the drive / gain / grit knob. Others use a blend control to soften the grit. These four can dial out to clean boost with just the grit knob.
    Here's my list: Wampler Euphoria / Escasty, Fairfield Barbershop, Timmy, Dam Ezekiel (certain settings more than others), Blueberry. To name a few of my favorites.
    As a general observation, red LED clipping seems to be better for bass than diode clipping. But it's a generalisation and there are always exceptions to every rule.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The lines between overdrive, distortion and fuzz aren't well defined but generally it's agreed that the degree of clipping increases from OD to distortion to fuzz and for that reason overdrive as a rule is the most touch sensitive. And fuzzes generally obliterate dynamics. It's just part of what they do.

But as GMC points out some ODs really respond to playing dynamics and some don't. And I definitely agree with his examples though I haven't tried an Ezekial.

For instance, the Way Huge Pork Loin can give a nice (if dark) subtle grit but I never felt it was touch sensitive. It just always added a bit of hair to what I played. On the other hand the Creation Audio Grizzly Bass (that I have now) and Holy Fire (that I had a while back) are both extremely touch sensitive.

4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I could tell you if CERN would approve my grant application. Until then it's anybody's guess.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks to all so far!
    I am intrigued; @Jared Lash...how would you characterise the holy fire. It is a pedal which has for a long time been on my try out list.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Xotic Bass BB Preamp for me. Can go from clean to roaring OD on just how you play, it's very expressive.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The overdrive on the Holy Fire is tubey and vintage sounding. A very "round" tone with great touch sensitivity. Not a "chunky" or aggressive dirt tone but full frequency and great for low gain, "just a bit of hair" sounds. The distortion section is where you'd need to go (either soloed or blended with the overdrive) to get more modern or crunchy tones. At the extreme ends the distortion cuts volume (plenty of gain on tap to make up for it) and gets relatively square wave sounding and compressed.

With the overdrive and distortion off the HF (and Grizzly Bass) are great as clean boosts too. The Grizzly Bass as a clean boost with the "Funkulator" knob

Personally I like the aesthetics of the Holy Fire much more (I had the original 48 V version with all the LEDs) but prefer the Grizzly Bass for it's 9V power requirement (though there's also a 9V Holy Fire version now too), the slight added bass response and the addition of the "Funkulator" knob which essentially is a midscoop. Using that knob you can get more modern, scooped sounds but the bread and butter of the Holy Fire and Grizzly Bass are round, tubey and low gain vintage tones.

I think the videos that Creation Audio did for the Grizzly Bass are a pretty representative look at some of the tones you can get.

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    My Darkglass VMT seems pretty sensitive to input dynamics.

9. It's probably gonna be hard to find these days, I would guess, but probably THE most dynamic dirt I've owned is a 1st-gen Catalinbread Hyperpak Dirty Channel...this thing will go from the tiniest bit of hair all the way to a decent distortion depending on how hard I play. It works better with passive basses, IMO, but my fully active one will produce that kind of range as well.

10. paranoid30

paranoid30

Apr 21, 2014
    Milan, Italy
    The VMT is very sensitive to my dynamics, I've set it like a tube amp close to breakup point: with my average playing it has some ovedrive, if I go softer it's almost clean and if I really dig into the strings there's much more distortion.

I don't think I've ever heard a fuzz pedal with any proper dynamic...

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    And the Catalinbread Hyperpak Dirty Channel sounds good too?

12. I think so. Given that it was designed primarily as a guitar pedal emulating Pete Townsend's overdriven amps from the Live at Leeds recordings, I think it does a great job of adding some grindy bits to my bass tone. The farther you crank up the drive tho, the more it kinda starts to take out the bottom end, but that could be said about a lot of ODs.

- EDIT - and I just noticed an error in my previous post...I have a 2nd-gen Hyperpak, not a 1st-gen. 2nd-gen pedals have both a drive and volume, rather than the 1st-gen's drive only.