Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one? Ric-WarcickThumb-Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    I am looking fowrward to buying one of these bass which one should i buy

rickenbacker4001
    stingray 4
    warcicck thumb

2. you are hitting the extremes on those... can you even compare them?

Rickenbacker - Completely Vintage sounding and feeling.
    Stingray - Funk Monster (my preference)
    Warwick Thumb - Versatile active bass, very clean sounding...

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Not sure what you mean by "vintage" for Ric. They've sure been around a while, but they're very much their own thing and very different to, say, a vintage Fender, fairly obviously.

You're right, though, these three are all pretty different. To the original poster I say try 'em all, see what suits you best. FWIW, though...

Ric 4003 - great rock bass, really good to dig into, I seem to play more fluidly somehow on my Ric than any of my other basses. Not as solid at the bottom end as a Jazz, though, mine doesn't quite have that E string thump - been meaning to try some different strings to get round this. Great tone overall, very distinctive. If you like a Ric when you try one I don't think you'll find anything else quite the same.

Stingray - yes, great slap bass, and solid as hell. Generally VERY cutting tone that can be over the top in some situations, but paradoxically this doesn't apply to the G string on mine, this gets a little bit lost in a band context when playing fingerstyle.

Warwick - can't really comment, only played one in a store, so not enough knowledge of these to comment.

Me, I'd go Ric if I had to choose between my 4003 and my Stingray. But I'd hate to part with either, and I have to say I still use a Jazz bass on most gigs. As they say, "go figure".

4. Leave the Stingray behind. It sounds too muddy if you wanna play something complicated. If you never do or your timing is bad, then buy this one.
    With the Rick you can get just one sound. So only get this one if you don't want anything else.
    Get the Thumb: You can do anything on this one, from heavy up to light and everyone, including band-members, can hear what you are doing and when you are doing this.

5. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I think the Thumb will be your best choice, as I find it the most clear and neutral sounding bass. That way, you`ll be free to ad other effects later.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, it looks like you (the original poster) have never played any of these because frankly, they're totally different monsters. Try to play them yourself and decide. I personally LOVE Stingrays, can't stand the Thumb, and Rics are something that I would love to get my mitts on but can't justify. Obviously others feel different.
    No offense, but where'd you get this idea? String one of these with steels, it's one of the punchiest, least muddy basses I've ever played. Let me guess, backed off all the onboard EQ and cranked the bass?
    Once again, I'd say that's not entirely true. The Ric is closest to being a one-trick pony, but it does one trick REALLY REALLY well, it's got an instantly recognizable tone, look and feel. May or may not be your bag of chips, obviously not wiro's.
    Warwick fan I see. I liked them tonally, but the feel was totally off for me. Though I can't say I'm a huge fan of the MEC pickups.

The Warwick is a pretty versatile bass, but definately check one out. Their body shapes are something to get used to, I found the upper horn of the Thumb to be especially uncomfortable seated.

7. Oké, now seriously then:

As nicely put above: It's mainly a matter of taste.
    I've never tried the Stingray. I hear them a lot though, one out of ten bass-players seem to play this one. And they sound always muddy to me. Perhaps the bass itself can sound clear. Perhaps it's the taste of the players and the way they do their eq's.
    Don't get me wrong: I love the Rick. Owned one in the seventies and still regret the fact that I sold this one when I needed the money.
    True, I love the Warwick Thumb, especially the neck-through model. I think they are too expensive though. And I agree: the Mecs are not the best you can get, but I love the 'wooden' and yet clear sound. I never had any problems with the shape of the Thumb.

8. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Hi, IMHO buy a warwick thumb... I play alot of basses during my life...Fender,sadowsky,steinberger,musicman and so on...all of these are great basses....really! But go in a store and play a thumb possibly with a Mesa...Have Fun!!! Davide

9. :confused:

My Sterling is about as clean as any bass I've ever owned...

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The Ray. But, then again, MM's are always one of my first choices. I can't stand Warwicks and Ric's I am indifferent to.

11. I think a maple-necked 'Ray is very bright sounding...most complaints about 'Rays are about them sounding too harsh and sterile, not muddy...

Good example of a Warwick that sounds like complete mud:

Breaking Benjamin

Sometimes, Ricks can be confused for maple-necked P basses, which can sound very bright, or very thumpy...

Examples of one trick pony Ricks:

The Beatles
    Yes
    some of Rush's songs
    early Tool
    every Modest Mouse album except the last one
    Franz Ferdinand

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Obviously try them out first but..

Ric: like people have said, nice vintage sound, not too keen on the size of the body..

Stingray: great funky sounding bass, fat tone, great for slapping.

Warwick thumb: very versatile, amazing tone, punchy, growly, the slap tone is lush aswell, i love the small body type, the weight may be an issue to some people, (but my shoulders can take it, and my strap certainly helps, get a decent strap with it)

13. i have a ric and a stingray and i love them both, but

the ric does have a more old vintage tone to it, but has a super growl to it. i kinda find though when playing back by the bridge with your fingers, it doesnt sound the best honestly. play it up by the neck its super nice though. good for rock and stuff

the stingray has a bit of a longer neck so youd be able to tune lower without buzz.. the different in the field on my ric and ray are massive. one major difference difference in the active eq. nicer high end but not really any growl to it.

i like playing my ric more but i kinda like the stingrays sound more, but i couldnt really pick just one. its really 50/50 and up to your prefence then..

and i've never played a thumb. sorry.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ric. Ric, Ric, Ric, Ric.

15. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What type of music do you plan on playing with it?

16. Had a Ric & it is what has been said before.....a one trick pony.
    I could never get used to the thick neck & weight of a thumb....if you want someting with a smaller body then try a Musicman Sterling.....sounds very similar to the Stingray & weighs much less than the Warwick & has a skinnier neck that's easy to play.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hahahahaha, stingray, muddy.

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Try them out and see what you like.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't quite get the "one trick pony" thing when it comes to Ricks. Yeah, they have a distinct sound. But a Fender Jazz also distinctly sounds like a Fender Jazz (whoah!) and a P sounds like a P, but I don't see people calling those basses one trick ponies. Well, maybe the P.

Chris Squire on his Rick sounds nothing like Paul McCartney on his. And people often mistake Geddy Lee's Jazz bass tone for his Rick's.

Though maybe as a longtime Rick player, I'm just biased. Or maybe slightly brainwashed. ;)

20. I've only been playing a Rick for 8 months, and now I see the need for more basses..

.....now that I have my Jetglo, I think I need an Amber Fireglow, and a Blue burst, and a regular Fireglow, and after those I might get a maple board Stingray or something....

oh yeah, I almost forgot...one of those greenish looking Blueboys too......