1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which one RULES

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CanadianBass48, Mar 29, 2006.

#1 configuration

Poll closed Apr 18, 2006.
  1. Schroeder 410R

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Schroeder 310212R

19 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Bergantino NV 425

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Bergantino - other configuration (12s, 15, 10s)???

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. Bag End - other configuration (12s, 15s, 10s)???

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Harke 410.......Jk

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Ok. I am considering a new cab. Right now I have a Basson 210. While it has the great low end that I love I am needing move volume. I want to know what YOU use of these cabs. I have done lots of reading on all of them. The only one that I have played through was a Schroeder 410R. It did not have the low end that I really like, though I was only using a AMP 420 and didn't tweak with the sound too much.

Schroeder 410R

Schroeder 310212R

Bergantino NV 425

Bergantino (other configuration)

Bag End configuration (12s, 15s, and other)

Harke VX410 ;) JK

So here are the configerations that I am looking at. I need more volume for my hard and classic rock bands. I also need the clarity and lowend, my style veries a lot. I am looking to spend about $800-$1000 and I hope to get the cabs used, slightly cheaper and I like to think of it as "broken in".

Thanks guys and if you want to go off on some rabbit trail of how another amp is better then go right ahead.

2. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey dude, I have the schroeder 410r. I agree it doesnt have the low end, of say an eden, put I find u can diel some cool lows in with either the amp or bass pre and it can sound deep

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Berg NV610! :D

4. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I have a Schroeder 1212R and it has plenty of volume and low end but if that isn't enough just add a second 1212R and stack them. That should ROCK THE HOUSE.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What about the Schroeder 21012? It's supposed to have a lot more lows than the 410.

Of course, I'm partial to the Berg NV215 as well.

6. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can

I don't really want the bloomyness of the 21012 though. I like a tighter low end, not fat or loose. Something that hits you in the chest without being too high or too low that you can't make out what note you are playing. I hope I am making more sense. I think to get a more "rounded" tone that I will need to use different speakers and maybe different cabs.
    I am suprised about the few votes of Bag End. I though that these things were held in high reguard for keeping it all together. Oh well.
    Do some of you users of the Berg 610 use like a 210 with that. I really want my sound to come out of a 100 pound package. If you need to add anything to the 610 for different and better sound then I don't know about it. What makes it different then the Ampeg 610? Maybe I should take this to the Bergantino megathread. Anyway....

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bergantino all the way, in my book. Pick your model, they all sound great! :D

But I am very partial to the NV215, with the NV610 being just a nudge behind in my voting. You do not need to add any other cab (2x10, or other) to either one, IME/IMHO, though I think you certainly could add another cab if you wanted. But if your goal is to get it all from one cab, then any of the NV series cabs would be killer. The HT322 would also be a great one-cab solution, but I am not sure if a BH-420 is enough to drive it. The HT212 seems more forgiving of what amp it is paired with, and that is one of the 'sleeper' cabs in the Berg lineup (though it is of course discontinued). If funds allowed, I'd recommend one of the IP series cabs, for sure, but within your budget, I would probably focus on the NV series.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

Tom.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Yes, you are! And in fact, you are describing the tone of the NV610. ;)

If you are saying that you think you'd need to use multiple cabs, I would say no, one of the NV series cabs (pick your preferences) should get you there.

Tom.

9. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Does bump work?

Seth

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergie HT322.

11. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    EDEN 410XST

12. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    If you think the Schroeder 410 lacks lows, then Bagends probably aren't for you. Very strong midrange emphasis, but they sound great live and really cut through.

13. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1 Thats hands down my fav cab.

I also disagree with the comments on the Schroeder 410r lacking lows. Thats bat**** crazy. I don't know how you guys are amplifying your 410s but when I was powering mine with a CA9... I'm sure you could have gone on door to door survey within a mile radius of our practice space and gotten complaints from EVERYONE. That cab lacks no lows with the right power. Its definitely not as articulate as say the Bergie HT322 but it will sure kick its ass in power and probably low handling because of its larger speaker area and better power handling.

14. 310212! Just because it would be rediculously loud and large!

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Of the cabs you said, the 310212 is a perfect match.

But just think of all the avatar you could buy for $1000.. hmm.. the options. can you say 2) B410Neo's.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    :confused: I'd like to hear that comparison first hand before reaching that conclusion.

Tom.

17. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    so it sounds like I may have been majorly underpowering the schroeder 410 eh. I might have to try it again when my power amp arrives :) I really dig the Bergantino 425 but the cab might be slightly too big to fit in my car. that would be a problem. IT is sooo beautiful though.
    Are there any similarities to the berg 425 and a berg 15 + a berg 210 or 112?

thanks

Seth

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Well, each setup will sound phenomenal, but the sealed NV line has a very different vibe from the HT series. Different shades of 'awesome', though, in my book.

TOm.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1 on different shades of awesome.......and on fitting an NV in your car, I had an NV610 that went in the back seat of my Chrysler Concorde with plenty of room to spare. They really are smaller cabs than you would think.

20. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    Ampeg PR410HLF.