Which one should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Naumann, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Naumann

May 12, 2004

I'd like to buy new gear and I dunno which one should I buy. I'm sure, that I'll take Aguilar GS-112 cab, but I'm thinking about three heads: EDEN WT-400, SWR SM-500 or Aguilar AG-500. I think it's important to say that I play (or just trying to play ;) ) jazz & fusion. Help me, please. I'm waiting for any opinion.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    outside of what tone you like (brightness to warmth i belive they range swr/eden/aguilar) you may want to demo the amps together in terms of power to see which one is loudest (in case you ever need that)
    otherwise it's hard to say but in terms of current quality i belive aguilar is the safest bet. they are still relatively small and seem to have a high level of customer service and pride. eden and swr have been bought out and i never like what happens after a good manufacturer gets bought out by a large company. call me a cynic. :p
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I agree with Mike about Aguilar..you might want to look for a pre Fender SM 500 ..they can be had at a very reasonable price and work well.
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I agree with Mike's rating of brightness to warmth. I actually find the Aguilar a bit too warm though for my tastes. Of course I've also played SWR heads since 1989 so I obviously like the brightness (hi/fi) sound of SWR amps. I've owned 3 SM-400 amps and recently purchased a SM-500 and I actually think the SM-500 head sounds better than the SM-400 models. I prefer the parallel effects loop over the series version and the amp just sounds cleaner. The speakon connections are also real nice. I think the amp is a 2002 model but I'm not sure if it's pre-Fender. I don't really buy into that "the companies been sold now it's crap" scenario. Unfortunately, when enough people believe that, it does eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I think that you'd be happy with either of the amps you're considering. But I think that you'll get more bang for the buck with the SWR. As 57pbass stated, they can be had at a very reasonable price.