Which one sucks less?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unbridled, Aug 21, 2005.

1. unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 x 10 cab. which one of these sucks less?

The downside of the behringer is... well... it's a Behringer.
    But, I also haven't heard much good about the "backline" products from GK. Also, the GK isn't ported and doesn't have a tweeter.

What do you guys think? I don't want to spend much more than $200. I use a Spector 5 string through a Music Man 150 watt tube head
  2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I knew someone would post it before me...
  4. unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Thanks for the info! To tell you the truth, I hadn't even looked at either the Avatar or Dr. Bass cabs very close because with all the good stuff I'd heard about them, I figured they must be expensive.
  5. sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    I use a Behringer 3/4 stack (2x10 and 1x15) with the Bugera aluminum cones 3 times a week playing all sorts of venues. They absolutely sound fantastic. Before my purchase I had the backline set up and a highdollar full stack of top line Hartkes (4x10 and 1x15) side by side at a music store. Playing all of these side by side with a Warwick 6 string and then a American Jazz I chose the Behringer hands down. It had a clarity that the other two could not touch. Louder than the Backlines but a little quieter than the Hartke stack (just a little though). The Behringer ran circles around them both.

Next situation:
    Outside gig in front of 4200 people. Big sound company taking care of the PA and instrument amps. I walk on stage to a stack of Hartkes. Thinking that I may have just played a bad new set at the music store I plugged in expecting all to be well. They sucked!!!! Actually switched amps between sets.Glad I had the Behringer's ready.....and so were 4200 other people.
    I'm sorry but the "well...there Behringers" crap doesn't wash. Been playing for 21 years on a multitude of setups. I'm proud of the Behringers and can't wait for the new 18" cab to come out this fall. :hyper:
    BTW: YYZ sounds freakin' amazing on this amp (yes, still very warm even with aluminum coned speakers)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Played on a GK 2x10 awhile back and it was probably the worst sounding cab I have heard yet.

Avatar is definately the way to go.
  8. I gotta say, I quite like the GK. Especially casue its tweeter-less and portless, its kinda power hungry, but if you give it some power it does kinda open up nicely.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And neither does it "wash" that 4200 other people were "glad" that you switched to a Behringer rig for your stage monitoring if you were going through full PA in front of a crowd of thousands. They heard the mains, not your stage monitoring rig.

Silly statements like this don't do a whole lot to enhance the confidence of a person's product opinions. At least in my eyes.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're looking to find a rig that sucks less, then you're going about things wrong. I know you don't have big money to spend, but if you go in with low expectations you're never going to have a good relationship with the rig you do end up with...therefore, you'll never be happy with your sound.

Yes, look at both the Avatars and the Dr. Bass cabs and look used. Find something that you're going to respect.
  11. unbridled

May 26, 2005
    I used the title "which one sucks less" because I didn't want the thread to become a "Behringer Sucks" or "Backline Sucks" thread. I figured if I put that I already know that they suck into the thread, maybe I could get people's honest reaction to them and maybe some other opinions. And, It worked! Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

BTW- I do admit to owning a Behringer combo that actually sounds good. I just wouldn't count on it for rough duty.
  12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend trying to find another cabinet. Not a Behringer fan, but they are good bargains. Might want to consider a used SWR or Eden cab. I see these in good condition for about 250-400. You've got a good bass and a good amp. No one will ever know if it going thru a cab that doesn't sound like you want it to sound
  13. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have Avatar cabs and I have a Behringer cab. I like the sounds that both groups of cabs give me. I love my Avatars but the Behringer has grown on me and I was initially impressed by the tight bottom the aluminum 115 gave me. Also the price was nice too.

I suggest you find somewhere you can try them. I brought one of my heads and my basses with me to try a bunch of cabs and came to the conclusion that for the money the Behringer does not sound bad. Of course there are better cabs out there but for the cost the B cabs are an option. If you can afford better than get better.