Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one? SVT410HLF of BSE410HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Jun 12, 2002.

1. SVT410HLF

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. BSE410HLF

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Which cab is better?
    Ampeg SVT410HLF or BSE410HLF???

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have the BSE410HLF, and I couldn't be happier... sounds great, rugged, not a total pain to tote around.... and cheaper than the SVT.... It got my vote!

P@

3. I've got two BSE4x10hlf's and im really happy with them. So they get my vote...

4. I say the SVT. I played around with one for awhile (and will have one soon) and I thought it was the best sounding bass cab I've ever heard.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Save up and get a BXT-410.

6. I didnt vote for either, but I have the BSE410HLF cab and have been happy with it. The only downfall of the cab (in my mind) is the tweeter level thingy. There is only 2 spots, and I think that even though I had it on the lowest level, my tweeter still gat screwed up. It just makes clicking noises now. I like the sound just as well without it, and would still say to go for it. Same speakers and is cheaper. Also has a metal grill to keep your speakers safe. I talk a lot.

jtbp

7. i have the svt and it is so awesome. it's one of the greatest things i own. the sound coming out of this thing is so great. woohoo

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I like the SVT410HLF. It has awesome low end that projects. I don't like how harsh the tweeter sounds though.

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    i'm looking to buy an SVT410HLF but i need the money first. i've only heard good things about it.

10. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I second this . The BXT 410 is a way better cabinet and has better overall sound to it.

11. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

If you can, get the BXT 410-HL. It is faster, louder and more coherent than most 410s. It is also heavier. It is manageable and worth it IMHAMO.
    Solid.

12. rr4406pak

rr4406pak

Nov 18, 2005
    BSE410HLF really sounds good. Amazingly so. The most bang for the buck without question.

13. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I've played both cabinets and in my opinion I think the SVT410HLF sounded better. I did own the BSE410HLF for about 5 years and ran it with a B2R head, sounded great and got the job done. But I think overall the SVT410HLF is a better deal.

14. The sound I got when I plugged my SVT-3 through the SVTHLF was incredible. Easily the best 410 I've heard.

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I havent used either cab, but I will comment on the horn since it was mentioned a few times. IME, the horns on the Ampeg cabs work best in moderation... a little bit is all you need. Its rare that I turn mine up past 1/4. I play with a pick and pick scrapes are like nails on a chalkboard at 110 db when the horn is turned up too high... its less abrasive when you play with less attack. I have a 410HE cab which i really like (but isnt the best as a stand alone cab, IMO) and find it to be just a little bit flat when the horn is completely off, so I assume that would be the same with the HLF series as well.

Also, the BSE series are the Ampeg "budget" line aren't they? less power handling than the SVT, etc. I am not commenting on the sound or quality, just making the obervation.

FYI- Heres what the Ampeg site says about the BXT cab that a few people just mentioned

"These cabinets are designed for the R&B, Funk, and Jazz player." i also noticed they are rated to handle more power than the BSE 410HLF & SVT 410HLF