Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHICH ONE THESE IS THE 'STANDOUT?'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old grouch, Dec 29, 2005.

1. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

1. Lakland Skyline 44-02 4-String Bass
    2. Fender® American Deluxe Ash Precision Bass
    3. Warwick Corvette Standard Bass
    4. Brian Moore i4 Bass
    5. Godin Freeway 4 Active 4-String Bass

Those are the axes I have narrowed it down to. Finances, Availability, and every other factor has played into coming up with these final 5. Any logical (BWWAAA HHAAAA) opinion would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    OG

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go for the Lakland. The Godin is a great bang for the buck, itd cost half of what the others do. But overall, id say the best bass there is the Skyline.

3. i'd go with the lakland as well

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You're likely to get 5 different answers, the Lakland is nice, I like Warwick, that model plays well and sounds good but is VERY heavy.

5. I'm wavering between the P & the Warwick, as I have neither of these at the moment. If we're talking wenge-neck Warwick here, I'm sayin' ja, sehr gut. Danke. :D

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I still think you want the P-bass ;)

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i thought you were a P-Bass kinda guy ...
    the American Deluxe is very , very nice .

nothing against the others , jmo .

8. I'm gonna get bannished for this, but I hate warwicks. I think they are one of the worst FEELING basses out there. Sure they sound great, in the right hands. But they dont belong in mine. Laklands are pretty good. Good sound, good feel, but I don't dig the looks, maybe you do. Don't know much about Godin, so your on your own on that one. I like P basses, but those are gonna have a completly different sound than everything else on your list. So really, its about you finding them, playing them, and choosing which feels and sounds right in your hands.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    agreed with the fender or lakeland, just by reading your old post

those warwicks might be a bit to modern for your old ears : P

Also might consider US masters, i really dug the feel of those guys.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd probably go with the Fender, but the Lakland and Warwick are both solid as well. Its just preference between those, all are really good.

13. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

Yer on my track. I LOVE the WOOD on the Warwick, but the way the top of the thing is shaped like phinnocios pecker is NOT attractive. The P Bass, I feel is losing because of the flexibility in tone. The Godin, and the Brian Moore are like deciding which playmates a$$ to buy. I've never been on one for a test drive, although I've SEEN and TOUCHED 'em. Clueless about them both.

Gee.....that leaves the Lakland. I ordered it up today...Lakland Skyline 44-02 4-String Bass 3-Tone Sunburst Rosewood Fretboard.........HERES THE PIC

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Congradulations on your choice. I think you'll like it.
    BTW I know what you mean about the Corvettes, I thought the same way at first, my other 2 don't look like that but cost a whole lot more. I do have a double buck Corvette,2 MM Humbucker and their active and they don't look so bad w/a strap on them.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Lakland. The Corvette, the Brian Moore and the Godin are nice, but not in the same class.

The Brian Moore is Korean made, IIRC.

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Out of that list, I like the warwick. For some reason, lakland 55-02 or 55-94 (I realize you are looking at the 4 string version) just don't do it for me. Now if you were talking about the 55-94 classic, that's another story. (I'm not an ash kinda guy, I guess).

Anyway, it really depends on the tone you are after. Besides these new instruments you listed, have you considered looking at the used market? If you saved up a bit more cash, you could probably get a higher quality USA instrument for a bit more. For example, I've seen USA Laklands go for around 1300-1500 (sometimes less).

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    These are all very different basses. FWIW my personal preference of that list is the Fender, with the Godin coming in a very close second. But you might not like the same kind of stuff that I do, so my recommendation is of limited value. Peavey makes some really fantastic basses in that price range, also. Have you seen the USA Cirrus and Millenium lines?

I hope you like your Lakland, I'm sure you will, they are fine basses.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You won't get banished. I also have never tried a Warwick I liked. I love the feel of the back of the Wenge neck, and the profile of the neck. Everything else about the basses is very high quality and very nicely made, but not my style. And I don't like how they stole the body shape from Spector back in the day.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Id go for the Lakland or the P bass

(And to Snake Anthony...there are a LARGE contingent of Warwick haters here. I'm the president of the club!)