1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one to buy--Classic 60s or 70s Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Apr 10, 2010.

1. I love that they each have vintage frets, slightly chunkier necks, and a great vibe (I have played them both, and love them both, but can only buy one); the 70s seemed a bit flashy, but I like the truss rod accessibility. The 60s was somehow lighter and the burst was nicer. Hmm...decisions, decision. Any helpful advice for the decision-challenged here?

2. I have read all the threads about these two, and the concensus is that they're both exceptional quality for MIM basses. I'm thinking if I wait till Memorial Day I might find some good online deals.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    If you like your tone a bit brighter, go with the 70's bass, the bridge pickup spacing really does make a difference. They both sound really nice and I have yet to see a dud in terms of build quality.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Having played both, I prefer the extra "bite" from the Classic 70s. Either is a good choice, but the 70s in 'burst would be my personal choice, for whatever that is worth.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I just reluctantly sold an early 2001 60's classic to fund the purchase of a 2000 MTD Kingston 5 (growl MONSTER, btw).

The kid who bought my Jazz got a perfectly set up bass with good looks and killer tone. I miss it, but the 35" scale MTD is more useful for me now.

I owned a '68 back in 68. The 60's classic is a better instrument. I didn't care for any fenders made between '73 and '83. Perhaps the 70's classic improves on the original.

IMHO, all Jazzes are a bit wane sounding...but hey I like P basses and P/Js.

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    After trying both, I'd go with the 70's version.

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Go with the 70's. I own one and love it. I couldn't imagine anything better.

8. Thanks Jim, I always appreciate your point of view; I did read about your clasic 60s and all the mods you made. I went for the 70s only because I found a deal too good to pass up and I'm a sucker for block inlays.

9. Thanks, Valerus, that's just what I did. Got a killer deal at $647 with straplocks thrown in. I will post pics soon. Might need to get a tort guard though.