Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass-stiek, Oct 12, 2003.

1. bass-stiek

bass-stiek

Oct 12, 2003
    I have to choose from 2 bass amplifiers and i would like to have some advice.

Number 1:
    Fender Bassman 135 head with 4x12 inch cabinet. build in 1972. 135 watts all tube including flightcases.

Nummer 2:
    Yorkville Bass master 400 Head (400 watts, no tube)with Yorkville 410 bass kabinet 4x10 inch (500 watts). build in 2002.

Price of both amplifiers is almost equal. The yorkville is a little bit more expensive.

They are 2 very different amplifiers. I would like some advice.

Niek

2. Fender didn't build particularily good bass amps at that time... they produced a tone that many liked for guitar, but few for bass. Assuming that you intend it for a bass, I'd buy the Yorkville.

3. I'd definitely buy the Yorkville. You'll be very thankful for 400 watts vs the 135 when it comes to trying to cut through at jams.

4. I owned Bassman 135 for year or so and still missing its tone. On the other hand, never played Yorkville gear. 400W should be enough for most situations (as well as 135 tube wats of Bassman). What kind of music do you play? For modern stuff (slap) SS/4x10 setup would be more suitable, for old school blues/R&B/RnR Bassman/4x12 is to die for (IMHO of course). Tubes are kinda heavy though. Just my two cents. Good luck!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    DING DING DING!!!

That'd be the only choice of those 2 if'n it was my money.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    When your qestion asks 'what one is better', your only going to get peoples opinions, and theres no right or wrong answer. So be prepared for a mixed response.

IMO, id go the yorkville

7. Er, the "135 watt" tube Bassman used two pair of 6L6GC tubes. Outout would actually be more like 85 to 90 watts RMS, maybe 100, it did have solid state rectification. Probably a decent tube tone, I haven't played through one. Would be a nice amp on certain occassions....

My personal preference for gigging would be the extra power of the 400 watt Yorkville. Lighter weight, too.

8. As others have said, it all depends on what size gigs you'll be playing and what type of sound you like. I have a 1971 50 watt Bassman which I believe has the same pre-amp section as the 135 head and therefore should sound about the same or very similar, ( at low volumes ) and I'm, absolutely wrapped in it's tone. But only at low volumes. If you turn up too much it distorts badly. Some people like that sound, but I'm not one of them.

I've also got a Gallien Krueger 700RB ( 400 watts nom.) which is what I use mostly when playing out as it's got a lot of headroom and punch and it's tone isn't bad at all, but it lacks the thickness of the Fender's valve sound.

So, Tone = Fender
    Power for gigs = Yorkville

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Which one sounds better to you?

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In a flight case, that 412 cab must weigh 200 pounds :eek:

I used to own one, it's horn loaded which means the sound doesn't really develop until a few feet out in front of the cabinet. Standing right in front of it on a small stage it's hard to hear it while you're deafening people in the back of the room.

Get the Yorkville unless you want a murky, poorly defined tone.

11. I've used the old Fender 135 head and I can't stand it, it's grossly underpowered and either electrocutes me or burns me whenever I touch it.

12. The Bassman sounds better to me; but only at low volumes. It would only be usable for small gigs with a quiet drummer. I mostly just use it for practicing through a sealed cab 2x12 that I made, as is sounds really nice.

[​IMG]