Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one ?? Veillette, Sadowsky, F Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gencc, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gencc

gencc

Jan 24, 2005
    Hi cats..

I am professional bass player from Europe .. playing for 12 years, mostly funk, soul, rnb and jazz.. I am really into fingerfunk, slap style playing..
    I will be in USA in April to visit a friend and thinking to buy a new 4 string during my visit.

there are three basses to choose from :

Veillette Retro Single cut 4
    Sadowsky MV4
    F Bass BN4

I read amazing reviews about them...
    please post your opinions to help me..

thanks a lot..

keep groovin'

Gencc.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    F bass. Jorje (George) does amazing work.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    If you're after a super duper Jazz bass, the Sadowsky.
    If you're after a similar fendery sound, but with more flexibilty and better ergonomics, the F bass.
    The Veillette sounds interesting, but I've not played one.

I am a big fan of the F basses, myself.

LM

4. To me, based on what styles you are playing, a Sadowsky "sound" is right up your alley. Not sure what kind of neck you are looking for.

If I were you, I'd also check out a Lakland.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think an Ash / Maple bass with active bass treble is the way to go, so any of the basses mentioned would be more than suitable. Its really going to come down to personal preference, but if I were in you shoes, I would go the Sadowsky because it will retain its value well and its shape (ie Fender Jazz) is widely accepted in any gig and studio in the world.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    F Bass.

That's all I got to say about that.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    After years of messing arround with various high end "custom"basses I have become a Sadowsky convert. I have a good fiend who is selling his Fodera five because his Metro sounds better in the mix. Go with the MV4 but get the VTC ( a worthy upgrade to improve the fingerstyle sound) you want regret it .

8. It really depends od what you need....I only tried F Bass from those three basses...
    And that's a sensationnal bass with you'll be able to play anything...the preamp has a very wide range and you can play from reggae to metal with it.
    The ash maple cocktail offers you great fingerstyle sound with solid low ends, and a monster slap sound! The neck is a freeway, easy playable and it's easy to be used from it! It's a real doped Jazz Bass....with a '70s wibe!

But if you want a 4 strings, you have to know that they are custom!
    So perhaps you'll have to order one in the USA, or to order one from Europe...
    PM sent...

Vince

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    F Basses are without a doubt "GREAT" bass for Slap, Fingerstyle funk and Jazz, R&B. I own two and they continue to blow me away. Not to say Sadowsky's are not equally great. They are also on my short list to add when the time is right. But owning two F Basses, I can say without a doubt, they are exceptional for everything you described.

In my experience, get the standard Ash/Maple.

Good luck and have fun! Gary

10. Any of the three should more than meet your expectations. It will probably come down to personal preference.

For me, Sadowsky was the best choice.

Happy Hunting!
    Jeff

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sadowsky, of course

Rob

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Oooooooo.....
    Man, F Bass or Sadowsky.........
    I wouldn't want to be in your shoes trying to decide.......
    Ummmm........Sado......wait.....F Ba.....umm....Sa.......F Ba.........sheeze..........