Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one would be better??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Aug 20, 2001.

1. i was thinking of getting a Hartke 3500 or 4000, but I can score a Carvin Poweramp for 350-400 bucks, and then use an Ibanez PhatHed pedal for a preamp. All this would run to a Carvin 410. For 350 bucks I can get a 600 watt poweramp. For 400, a 1000 watt (!) poweramp. what would you get, the Hartke head or the Ibanez/Carvin setup? Thanks.

2. Hartke, all the way..

Using a distortion-pedal as pre-amp is clueless.. it will sound like sh#t...brrr :(

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Neither. I'd see if I could find a used Carvin R600 or R1000, which for my tastes is a considerably better amp than either Hartke. YMMV, of course.

What's your budget? New, the Carvins are $569 and $649, respectively, plus about $20 for shipping and maybe another $20 for the footswitch if you want it.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I second richard.... im not a hartke fan.. but using the ibanez as a preamp will mean trouble.. try get yourself a full on carvin amp... for their prices they can't be beat.

5. nofxbasspunk87

nofxbasspunk87

Aug 20, 2001
    Hartke, my friend has a 200w for them and it kicks A$$ for really big venues he plays it double cab with a sunn, that he paid like 100 dollars for, its really old but it cranks out the volume but like they say , for the price carvin can't be beat