Which one would be better??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Aug 20, 2001.

1. i was thinking of getting a Hartke 3500 or 4000, but I can score a Carvin Poweramp for 350-400 bucks, and then use an Ibanez PhatHed pedal for a preamp. All this would run to a Carvin 410. For 350 bucks I can get a 600 watt poweramp. For 400, a 1000 watt (!) poweramp. what would you get, the Hartke head or the Ibanez/Carvin setup? Thanks.
  2. Hartke, all the way..

Using a distortion-pedal as pre-amp is clueless.. it will sound like sh#t...brrr :(
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Neither. I'd see if I could find a used Carvin R600 or R1000, which for my tastes is a considerably better amp than either Hartke. YMMV, of course.

What's your budget? New, the Carvins are $569 and $649, respectively, plus about $20 for shipping and maybe another $20 for the footswitch if you want it.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I second richard.... im not a hartke fan.. but using the ibanez as a preamp will mean trouble.. try get yourself a full on carvin amp... for their prices they can't be beat.
  5. nofxbasspunk87

Aug 20, 2001
    Hartke, my friend has a 200w for them and it kicks A$$ for really big venues he plays it double cab with a sunn, that he paid like 100 dollars for, its really old but it cranks out the volume but like they say , for the price carvin can't be beat