Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one would you choose???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shri, Mar 23, 2004.

which would you choose?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2004.
  1. Fender 60's Jazz Bass made in mexico

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Bossa UJ4 (used)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i've tried three basses at my local shop today and i just wanted to have advices from you guys. The first was the fender 60's made in mexico, the second was the fender highway USA and the last was a used Bossa UJ4 with an aguilar obp-1 in it. The fender 60's sounded less good than the highway one for sure but the guys told me that it's due to the high gloss finish on the 60's and that after some months or years the sound will be much better. The Bossa was pretty good also but i find the obp-1 a bit aggressive in the highs. Anyway, the one i will take will have other pickups and preamp. I'll put dimarzio ultra jazz and maybe a J-retro preamp from e-pro. :cool:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That is a tough choice. For me, it would be between the two Fenders, but that's only because I've never played the other bass. When I was shopping for my last bass, it came down to that Mexican 60's bass and a Highway 1 P Bass. I ended up taking the Highway 1, and I love it. The tone was definitely what I was looking for. The 60's Jazz bass, however, played very nicely and was a real looker.

I'm not too sure what was said about what was said concerning the gloss finish. I've never heard of anything like that, but, then again, I have been wrong before. ;)

3. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Thanks superduck for answering ! :) I 'd like to know why people mostly voted for the 60's mexico one... it's a nice bass but the american just sounded better for me but as i said that's maybe because it was new and because of gloss finish. And why did you choose the highway one then?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I ultimately went with the Highway 1 because I was looking for a warmer, rounder tone. (It was a P-Bass, after all. ;)) The 60's Jazz was very deep, and it was almost was I was looking for.

The neck on the Highway 1 was also nicer than the 60's- but Fender is notorious for poor quality control. It could have been just a really nice Highway and a not-so-nice 60RI. It just depends on the individual basses.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "The fender 60's Sounded less good than the..."

LOLERGAG

I am not a fender fan, so I would not recoment either, but if you could only have one of those two....

Highway.

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    ??? what does LOLERGAG mean??? sorry i'm don't know that word... :meh: So as a non fender fan, what bass with alder body and with fender jazz bass type pickups would you recommend. I'm gonna put dimarzio ultra jazz pickup anyway so it's not for the pickups that i will get this bass. Also the electronics will be changed as i said. I want a well built bass with nice tone.

7. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    ...and not very expensive...

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    oh..actually i thought the american series would be better... i know that some people told me they found mexican ones better than american ones..

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    And what about if i want to put a preamp in it? will i have to bore the bass, make a big hole in it to put the preamp. I don't remember but i think there is none as the bass is passive and has no preamp.

10. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I happen to be a Fender fan(American 3tb P on the way). In my opinion, the Highway 1 series are the bottom of the barrel. Tone, playability, and looks pale in comparison to a good MIM. The thing about the finish making a particular instrument sound better is complete BS. Tone comes from pickups, not finish. Get the MIM, but just don't play an American (REAL American, not HWY 1) or you'll be drooling for one of those!

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i know...i used to have a deluxe american precision and for sure it was a very good quality instrument. I don't like the s-1 switch one and i know that i would have to get a deluxe jazz bass if i take an american model other than the highway. But as i said i will change the electronics and the pickups so i won't take a bass for the PUs and preamp. Just for quality, feeling and good tone, good wood. So maybe the mexican ones are good enough to make a custom bass. :meh:

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I agree. Get the one you think sounds the best! ;)

13. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Mexican Fenders are great for tinkering with. I've got an MIM P-bass that I put a Bartolini 8S into. It plays and sounds great!

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    well,...i know but it's not easy to decide...

15. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    well if you are going to mod the bass, go for the mexi 60s jazz.

16. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yeah that's actually what i thought at the beginning. lol. :D This bass lokks gorgeous and is not very expensive. :p

17. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    ya i agree as well there is a 60's mex jazz at a store near me that has been tempting me for a it's a dark pink w/ matching headstock and vintage stained neck. the thing looks awesome. it seems really heavy. but im a big guy so that doesn't matter and if your gonna replace pu's anyway that bass would be awesome. i find the highway 1 basses look cheap.

18. The finish thing is probably false, but if it were true why would you wanna wait a few years for good tone when you could just have it then? Get what you like most but I suggest the Highway 1.