Which one would you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 10, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Hi guys.

I am in a new "band". this is a newborn project completely different from my past experiences as bass player. This band will be a cover band. We intend ti play some tunes from different bands in a relaxed, grovy mood.

Think to some Beatles, TheDoors, Ramones, T-rex in a lounge context. We intend to play to private parties, so no big distortion occurred.

I am interested in your opinion about the gear i could use. You can name a bass (even if not listed in my profile under the setup...) that you think will be great in this context.

i am thinking to a clean fat sound. With clear notes, warm and with an uprightesque vibe.

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd probably play my fretless 6'er, through my rack and my avatar 112.

but the bass that instantly jumped to mind was a P-bass with flats. run that into a nice warm head with a decent amount of power and a 112 or two, and you'll be SMOOTH.

just make sure you clean your tux ;)
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd go with your G&L and a combo in the 400-500W range, or a head with a 4x10. G&L is very versatile, and can handle almost any type of music.
  4. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

I just sat in on a gig last night, Saturday, with similar music - rockn' blues, at a small club w/ drummer, guitar, bass and vocalist...

I took my Fender 'P' w/nickel wound strings, a SWR - 400 and 2x10 cabinet. It took me a few tunes before getting the volume up to a good 'mix' level. But, once I had it dialed in, there was no problems and plenty of good bottom w/some punch.

michael s.
  5. I'd tend to agree with the folks here - go with the Fender (P-bass if memory serves). Although, I dare say the G & L will give a good similarity and maybe be a bit more flexible!