Which One?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Before I throw out the brand names here which amp do you think is better and is more expensive.

Amp One:

Solid State Preamp
    Mos-Fet Power Amp
    350 Watts @ 4 ohms
    200 Watts @ 8 ohms
    3 Band EQ
    Style/Ultra Mid Tone Controls
    9 Band Graphic EQ
    Balanced Line Out
    Effects Loop
    Preamp Out/Power Amp In
    Input Pad
    Peak LED Indicator
    Defeatable Optocoupler Limiter
    Pre/Post EQ XLR Line Out
    Line Out Level Select
    Variable Speed Fan

Amp Two:

Top box design
    450 watts into 2 ohm, 300 watts into 4 ohm, 170 watts into 8 ohms
    Three-band active EQ with shiftable mid-range control
    Contour control
    -10 dB pad switch (active/passive pickup switch)
    Buffered tuner send jack
    Foot switchable post-EQ effects loop
    Electronically balanced XLR jack
    Pre-/post-EQ send switch for XLR jack
    Ground lift switch for XLR jack
    DDT speaker protection with defeat switch
    Preamp out/power amp in jacks

I am trying to decide on a head and these both sound pretty good to me. I was wondering what anyone here thinks.

2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

first one is a Hartke 3500 and the seconed is a Peavey of some sort.

I never played any of these but from what I heard the Hartkes are supposed to be better than the Peaveys but still not too good (that is if I guessed right).
    though this might not be up to date because among the current Peavey production line there are great amps and some plain awuful ones (as opposed to only plain awuful ones in the past).
  3. the first is NOT a Hartke 3500. The 3500 is 350 watt @ 4 ohms and 240 @8 ohms. it also has a 10- band EQ...

hmm, I'd go play them and see how they sound. also figure out what cabs you're going to use.
  4. cab is a Ampeg BSE410HLF.
    I was wondering about the overall tone of solid-state amps. Are most of them similar, at least compared to tube amps.
  5. I'd go with tube over ss any day man.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There are varying shades of SS amps. The only way I'd be tempted to even give something a nod on specs alone is if it were a mandatory spec, meaning something I absolutely needed. Since I have no mandatory specs, I'd have to go on sound and that's something you can't check out on a spec sheet.
  7. For me, being a youngin, I cant exactly tell what sounds a whole lot better then something else. I only know that I know certain specs that I look for and cost. The first one is an Ampeg B2-R and the second is a Peavey Nitrobass, a sort of little brother to the firebass. From what I've seen, the Peavey is durable enough for me, and right now it probably sounds good enough also. It is just that I like the sound and name of the Ampeg stuff. Not to mention resale value.

The other night I went to a loud show at our local indoor venue. It is a mid to small size place and the bass player did some really fast slap stuff, as in the fastest I've seen in a long time. To get to the point, his rig consisted of a 4 string Peavey G-Bass and a 5 string Ibanez EDC 705. His amp was the Peavey Delta bass, which has even less wattage than the Nitrobass, I think around 200 @ 4 ohms driving an Ampeg SVT 15. During the whole time he was playing, the amp's limiter was on (when the green light goes red) and it was clipping everytime he touched the strings on his basses. This is a kind of a confirmation of mine that the Peaveyamps that I have played on (the most recent ones) have been pretty sturdy IMO. They just seem to keep on going.

The thing is is that I am a bass player on a budget, and for the price for new stuff, you cant really beat the price of this brand.
    Cheapest for B2-R= $529.99 US
    Cheapest for Nitrobass= $360 US

What do you guys think?
  8. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Ordinarily,I'd say get the Ampeg,but I dont think they are known to be a favorite of slappers,correct me if I'm wrong.
    Another amp you might try is the Fender Bassman 400.A shop near me has the head for $600 US,but you should be able to beat that.I thought it sounded better than Ampeg,but I like vintage tone,not slap,and didn't try it at a gig,only in the store.
  9. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    don't get peavey or hartke they're terrible,
    another thing i hate aluminum cone drivers,
    they sound like ass,
    the best heads are ampeg, eden, swr, and boogie,
    have a nice day
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    An "IMO" to that wouldn't look too bad, now would it Doug? ;)
  11. I think in the end I will go with the ampeg B2-R because me, a person with major G.A.S., needs an amp that can fetch me some money when I want to sell it. Its resale value is definately higher than the peavey. Thanks for the responses, even though I never once though about the hartke speakers, because I dont really like them for anything besides that they look spiffy.
  12. I think you've called it right, Jim.
  13. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I was playing on the Ampeg that has both a 15 and an 8 in it tonight,and it sounded good.I think it's called the B3158.
  14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Of all the posts I have read Ampegs seem to be favored over Peaveys. So if you think you might have similar tastes to the "average" bass player, you might want to go with the Ampeg.