Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which One?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman20, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Ok Guys,
    This is my first post here, and hopfully there will be many more!

I'll start by saying, WHAT A GREAT WEB SITE! Seems very professional and civil, and I hope informative!

Well, as you've probably guessed, I'm looking for opinions of fellow bassists, and my question is;

Which would you prefer between these two amp & cab manufactures, SWR or TRACE ELLIOT?

Thank you,
    -Johnny-

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Johnny!

Welcome to TB.

In addition to any answers you get on your thread,
    try the 'search this forum ' link at the top right of the forum
    menu bar and plug in 'swr Trace' and see what you get that
    is relevant. Look for threads with those key words in the titles.

When you post a 'ABC vs DEF' thread, use that in the title as
    it comes up when others search.

I am sure everyone here appreciates your nice compliment,
    Thanks! :)

I like my SWR900, but never having played Trace
    equipment, I will leave it to others to help you make
    a comparison. :help:

PS Also, complete your profile, members find it a lot easier
    to make recommendations when they know what gear you
    have, basses, what style of music you like, if you are in
    a band, etc. And tell us what your needs are, practice amp,
    shrieking death metal rig, jazz band, whatever. How big a
    room, etc.

3. yeah, it really comes down to your personal preferance and your music style, but I personally prefer the trace stuff - I just find it has more balls in a gig situation.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it really all depends upon the specific amps and cabs too.........

5. Thank you, and the profile is completed.

6. At this point, I'm looking at the higher end gear, (T-E AH100012, SWR SM500 or 900, w/ appropriate cabs). I like the more powerful stuff, (I bi-amp), even in small venues, cause there is always a volume knob. :D Actually, IMO, the more power, the better the sound at lower volumes. And the HR is there if needed.

-Johnny-

7. Well, after a bit of research, I've put together a rig I think I'd be happy with. Of course I would like to run it in this thread for some feedback.

What'cha think:

Two SWR SM-500 heads
    SWR pre-amp
    SWR 1x18(Big Ben)
    SWR 2x12(12 Pack Rock Box)
    two-way xover(for bi-amping)

The SM-500's output is 400watts@8ohms bridged, matching the cabs power ratings of 400watts. Not to much, but enough if needed.

-Johnny_

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    looks fine, I guess your running both heads mono bridged to get 400 watts to each cab?
    Anyhow, what's important is that you get what you like. There are a lot of bass players here, and someone will love or hate every major brand no matter who it is, so make yourself happy.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doesn't the SM-900 have its own crossover for biamping? I think that would be a much more efficient and cheaper way to run SWR than buying two 500's.

10. Thor

I don't understand, quite frankly, why you wouldn't
    just go with SWR SM 900 then.

http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4400100000

Also see the specifications on it.

It is rated at 400 watts per channel stereo @ 4ohms, already has a tube pre-amp and is Bi-amp capable with hi and low
    xover.

Then you wouldn't need all the other stuff. You'd have it
    all in one box at 26 lbs.

I bought on of those used on TB last summer, and got it
    for 620 shipped. Monster amp.

The 2x12 is 8 ohms and the Big Ben is at 8ohms,
    together they will run at 4 ohms bridged Mono for
    900 watts. That should crack a few foundations.

Edit, JimmyM posted it in the meantime, but we both
    seem to feel that your solution is much simpler with one
    box instead of 5.

11. You said it yourself, "400watts @ 4 ohms, I need that @ 8ohms to match the cabs input. I'm tired of underpowering cabs, and thats the only way I can exactly match the gear. Audio systems perform so much more efficient when it's matched up like that.(IMHO)

That would give each cab 450 watts, and I really don't want to do that either. I may never hurt the cabs, but there is that pesky warranty issue....

-Johnny-

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well regardless of all this, there has got to be a more efficient and cheaper way of doing what you want to do than buying two $1200 amps and a preamp. Like getting the preamp and a PA amp maybe. You're wasting a lot of money on the two heads. You'll have three preamps altogether with that setup, and you'll probably only use one.

But hey, it's your money, and if you feel good about spending way too much to accomplish the same thing you could do for half the money, who are we to judge. At least it'll look really cool ;)

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would prefer Trace Elliot from experience over my SWR amps in the past...

14. Thor

I guess I have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea of the SM 900 and 2 cabs being 'underpowered'.

'Pesky warranty issue'? The manufacturers website
    recommends a setup like that.

You got plenty of juice and headroom here
    with the SM-900, just don't turn everything to 11.

You could always throw 2 more 2x10's into the rig and really
    move some serious air. The 900 will handle that easily, though
    people tell me it will run HOT.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Have you had, or do you have the opportunity to try out any of the equipment you're looking at?

If trying out isn't an option I'd highly suggesting making your purchase from a company that has a very linient(sp?) return policy incase you aren't happy.

It sounds awesome, but will it sound awesome? ...if you catch me

Mainly depends on your tonal preferences.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you will not get any appreciable volume increase using the two amps vs using the one sm-900. 220 watts into 8 ohms per cab on the 900 vs 400-500 watts into each cab with the amps running bridged will give you maybe a 3dB increase. just noticeable. You will also probably like the sound of the amp better if you don't biamp, but run the cabs full range. (most of the guys at SWR did last time i spoke to them, but that was a few years ago). If you do run two 8 ohm cabs full range with a 900, you can always run it bridged into the combined 4 ohm load for the full 800 watts just for the heck of it.

You can't really mismatch a solid state amp to a cabinet by using a cabinet with a higher impedance rating than the amplifiers minimum impedance rating. You just won't be using as many watts. Last time i checked, each side of the 900 put out 220 into 8 ohms, 350 into 4 ohms, and 400 into 2 ohms.

17. I tried out the SM-900 with a Goliath Sr 610

It was very loud in a small gig at a bar, but not loud enough in a hall type venu. but we do play rediculously loud!

The SWR is very clean and modern sounding (although its not that new...surprisingly)

make sure you have a good sounding bass/fingers, as it will show you/your guitar for what it is...

18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    With only those 2 choices, the SWR wins a thousand times over. I have been a SWR fan since 1987. I have tried them all, but used nothing but SWR since then. My full rig was a SWR Bass 750, Golliath II, Big Ben and a Bass Monitor. I used this rig for almost 6 years. SWR/Fender, I do not like. I have since sold my 4x10 and 1x18 for some Schroeders and I am very happy. SWR is a great choice though.

19. I'm pretty sure it puts out 900 watts bridged, (so SWR claims).

I wasn't matching impedance, I'm trying to match watts. The only set-up to put 400 watts into 400 watt cabs was by using the two SM500's bridged into the 8 ohm cabs, thats all I'm trying to do. It frustrates me to no end that amps and cabs can't be matched up in the wattage department. (What good is having a 4x10 with power handling capabilities of 1200 watts, if you can't find a bass amp to match)? See what I'm saying? I know when it comes to audio, matching input to output, as closely as possible is ideal, so why don't manufacturers do that?

20. So the general consenses seems to be that the SM900 will drive the 1x18 and the 2x12 just fine, and still have the headroom right?