Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHICH ONE???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8punk14, Feb 10, 2006.

1. sk8punk14

sk8punk14

Feb 10, 2006
    Hi, I have a Stagg BC300 (4 string bass) and I am looking to get an overdrive pedal. I am fairly new to bass, and don't want to spend much over £25 :meh: . If you have any suggestions on which pedal to get, then please reply. Thanks.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    £25? You won't get anything decent for less than £60 really. If your on a budget, the best thing to go for would be a Boss ODB-3 or the Ibanez PD-7. Both have their strong points, and I use an ODB-3 so would recommend that. Haven't tried the PD-7 though.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Might be able to pick up a Behringer VD1 or BOD100 for that price, but they're very CHEAP pedals.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah, I didn't mention the Behringer's as I thought of how flimsy they are. They don't look like they'd last a whole set. But then again that's just my opinion so you could try them, they're only like £15 each.

5. sk8punk14

sk8punk14

Feb 10, 2006
    Thanks for your help, but I have one more question. Is there anything wrong with the VD1 for home use (not for gigs)? Or is a MXR Blow Torch much better (as you can see, I don't have much experience with pedals)?

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    My first OD pedal was/is a digitech "Bad Monkey". I've tried much better (expensive OD) but nothing I liked better in the price range.

7. get one of those zoom 506II there really good. it cost me £39 and it has loads of decent effects on it. if you cant find one go to spectresounds.co.uk and their having a 5% sale on

8. check out the new AX3B from korg toneworks, around 60euros( <40£).
    It's a multi effect.
    Looks good for the price.

9. sk8punk14

sk8punk14

Feb 10, 2006
    Hi again, thanks for all your help. Just to check, is the 'bad monkey' compatible with bass? Thanks.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep it's compatible with bass. Another good one is the DOD 250.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would really look into cheap multi-effect units. Being new to pedals, this will give you hands on experience with many different effects. You will be able to decide what to look for in the future, as well. There are good ones from Digitech, Zoom and Korg. They are all a little out of your price range, but IMO, it would be worthwhile to save a little more and go that route. Good luck and welcome to TB.

12. sk8punk14

sk8punk14

Feb 10, 2006
    Thanks (again). I am probably going to buy a bad monkey, but before I do, I need to know one thing: how does it attach? Does the cable from the bass go into the monkey, then another cable goes from the monkey to the amp? Thanks once again.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep. Bass --> Pedals --> Amp.

--> are cables.

14. I use an Ibanez TS9DX. I use it often & most of the set. I can use it as a boost for solos, or just leave it on for a very grindy-SVT type of tone. (think rumbly) You can get these pretty cheap used... I use mine a LOT, and prolly will leave it on my pedalboard for a while. Also use a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive a lot. Not quite as gritty, but works as a great boost. Plenty of headroom, gain, and you can dial back in the clean signal.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All pedals are compatible with bass. Some just don't sound as good as they're designed for different frequency ranges. Some only affect higher frequencies, which you may or may not like.

I would also second the recommendation of a DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250. Best cheap pedal out there IMO.

Yes, you will need a second instrument cable to use a pedal. Attach from your bass to the input on the pedal, and the output on the pedal to the input of your amp. Easy as pie.