1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadBassPlayer, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BadBassPlayer

BadBassPlayer

Feb 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hi! i just started playing bass 9 months ago, i bought a Behringer starter set (this one: http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/BEHRINGER+BASS+PACK.JPG)
    i'm currently looking for a new bass guitar. i've been reading threads in the forum for a while and the 2 basses that caught my attention were the:
    1. squier vintage modified jbass
    and
    2. SX SJB-62QMD

i like to play funky slap and pop stuff and i was wondering which one would be better. if i were to get the SX bass and change it up, would it be better than the squier or should i just buy the squier instead and forget about modding the SX?

thanks alot! :hyper:

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Go for the VM :)

3. If you can afford it, go for the Squier. Then you won't have to replace anything.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1

5. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    def get the Squier

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Squier VM.

They are not that much more expensive in relative terms, and you'll be less inclined to hate it in a few years, oh and if you want you can still mod it.

I may be wrong but it may be easier to find fitting parts for the Squier, than with the SX, again I may be wrong and I'm sure I'll be corrected:)

7. squier. for sure.

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Definitely the Squier. SX's are more variable in quality from instrument to instrument - you might get an SX that is as good as the Squier, but then again you might not.

9. get the VM...if you get a good one you'll love it, and you can mod it later, but careful not to make it better than a Fender...(shhh, just keep thinking it's not possible)

(I love some Beh stuff, especially the prices. But their body designs are really odd...almost like what you'd get with a rock-star Barbie doll set)

10. BadBassPlayer

BadBassPlayer

Feb 18, 2008
    Canada
    thanks alot for the replies! i'll get the squier, as soon as a find a store that has them in stock :smug::meh:

11. Wise choice, I've noticed a lot of rave reviews for Squiers, and I know several friends with them, all very good sound/quality, modded ones are great, an I just love the VM Fretless (feel a little daring?, not for a lot of slapping though)

12. BadBassPlayer

BadBassPlayer

Feb 18, 2008
    Canada
    i read somewhere that the squier has the strings up really high, i believe the term is called "high action" or something like that. is there anyway to make it go lower if the bass turns out to have the strings really high? ya, im a noob. :)

13. I don't believe that, all of the ones I've seen were fine (normal for a new bass so-to-speak)

But of course, they are adjustable (bridge and trussrod), so you can adjust it where you like it pretty much

14. BadBassPlayer

BadBassPlayer

Feb 18, 2008
    Canada
    oh sweet! thanks for the info