1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kazuya, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Im looking to get a new small amp for my small ass apartment. Im looking for something in the $250 range. Nothing fancy obviously. I just need to find something that will sound good at low practice volume and also sound decent at loud volumes when i go to my friends house.
    Gallien-Krueger Backline 110 Combo (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger-Backline-110-Combo-103055984-i1145823.gc)
    or
    Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180W 1x12" Bass Combo (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL1800-180W-1x12--Bass-Combo-481098-i1166248.gc)

Thanks in advance, any other amp recommendations in my price range will also be apreciated.

2. Definitely the GK. It just sounds good.. and BIG.
    The behringer is a wast of $$ IMO.

3. kickupthejam

kickupthejam

Feb 22, 2008
    Perth
    That behringer has a huge punch for what it is, and is overall a great amp. The Gallien-Krueger though has alot more cred, if you care about that sort of thing. It looks better too.

4. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    So its a tie so far

5. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I would go used. Backline 600 head ($200). Decent used cabs can be found for $100 or so.

6. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Im new to playing bass or any instrument, can you use a head by itself until you get the cab? Just wondering.
    ive heard good things about the Behringer heads, any good. Or is GK way better?

7. Dancing on a razor's edge when talking about Behringer... I"ll just recommend you get the GK and leave it at that if that's your options.

Most people on this site will tell you to buy a Head and a cab. NO you can not use a head w/o a cab... unless you have headphones and the head has a headphone output.

The reason I would recommend a head is that you can play a small 10 inch cab in your apartment. If you get a gig, you can barrow or rent something like a 4x10 and use your own head. Lets you be more versitile.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IME, GK gives you more bang for the buck than Behringer ever will. Once you get past the Backline series, this becomes obvious, IMO.

I used to own a Backline 112 - it's a very good combo. Try to get it used if you can, to save some dough. If you can find it used, you'll enjoy the headroom and volume it has over the Backline 110.

Behringer has a turbulent track record on TB - you'll notice a lot of criticism for the brand here. While that doesn't necessarily mean you will be making a "mistake" by buying a Behringer amp, I personally wouldn't recommend it for a number of reasons. On the grounds of tone and volume alone, I prefer the Backline 110 and 112. On reliability... GK wins again, in my book.

9. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'd go GK as Behringer's reputation for consistency in the area of QC, though it may be getting better, does not have a good track record.

10. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion. NOw i just have to find a used backline 600 head. I read up on it, and believe it will be more than enough for my needs. Just gotta lookn on craigs list i guess. Anywhere else i should look for a used one?

11. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    still looking

12. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    My typical comment in this sort of situation is look for a nice used combo, they are out there you just have to look. Most likely it will be better and louder than any behringer combo.

13. umm GK

behringer is evil...

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I would not go so far as to say Behringer is evil. Their little mixers and headphone amps and stuff are great if you are on a budget. Their bass amplification though...

15. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Ive talked to afew people, and im gonna get the gk600 head. What would be a good match for this head. Ill be looking for a 10in cab. NOw all i have to do is sell my peavey tko75 and my thunderbird.

16. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Avatar 2x10. If you plan to gig with it, maybe buy two 2x10s or a 4x10.