1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Jackson CMG concert

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. ESP/LTD F 254

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Line 6 Variax

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. other/Carrots

40 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. I am getting a new bass in the next couple of weeks, and I can't really decide what I want yet. I play metal and I get pretty much the exact tone I want from my esp, with emg's

my short list is:
    Jackson CMG Concert - Looks good, good pups, But not sure about neck (never played one)
    ESP/LTD F 254 - looks good, good pups, good neck
    Line 6 Variax - not very metal looking, sounds amazing, dont love the neck

in that order is my preference at this time.
    If I like the neck on the Jackson I will get it.

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Have you tried a Spector?

3. yeah, but they are out of my price range, well the one I want is. I am a bit turned off by the EMG-SSD pups in the legend series, and the legend custom is too much.

4. BobOnBass

BobOnBass

Dec 27, 2008
    Cugy (VD), Suisse
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Well, call my old school but I would only consider the Line 6 as my 87th bass, that is very very unMetal no matter what you do with it. I wish I played Metal so I could get me a kick #ss Jackson!!!

Hey, is there no music on your bands Myspace? Would love to hear some.

Bob.

5. BobOnBass

BobOnBass

Dec 27, 2008
    Cugy (VD), Suisse
    What should your new bass do that your present Esp doesn't?

6. yeah, we are a new band, we have songs, but no recordings... Picture Opeth Crossed with Arch enemy crossed with dimmu borgir crossed with parkway drive, then times that by 10

I need a second and backup bass, I have a gig soon where I need two basses (for different tunings)

7. BobOnBass

BobOnBass

Dec 27, 2008
    Cugy (VD), Suisse
    I did notice the difference in neck construstion, bolt on or neck thru, that should make a difference in sound. I would go with the Jackson cause it's sort of a cool modern classic, but like I said, i'm old school!

Anyway, enjoy your new bass!!

Bob.

8. Ew.

9. Here you go buddy...here's the one you need...

2106293121_a993ca404e.

10. Thanks, for all the help and nice comments...
    If you cant say anything nice and/or productive don't say anything at all.

11. I've never really played genres that heavy but I never understood why so many metal players use basses with lightweight bridges. I'd be seriously looking at a bass with solid bridge mass - preferably one that strings thru the body.

If you can put that combination together in the bass that fits your playing style, it would kill for detuning and percussive playing. Thats why I still rate the Ibanez ATK as a much underrated bass for heavy music.

12. I've owned two LTD B series, and sold both. Unhappy with the workmanship, and the rectangle-ish neck. If you go with the LTD - try that particular bass out first. You might try out an Ibanez SR if you can - you may like the thinner more eliptical neck profile, and tonal range better. Just a thought. Good luck!

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    dude if your playing metal where is the love for a good dean???? there awesome seriosly

i havee never played the basses u listed but deans rawk!

14. as i posted in ur other thread.... u should go with the spector. there are ALOT of good deals on ebay and they are awsome basses to. alice in chains's bassist played Spector... and almost all rock players.

they are good looking too!!!

15. I've played on ibanez SR, and the pups seem to... clear? also to fund this bass, I've sold my dean. Does ANYBODY know what the neck on the new Jackson is like, I think they have a string throgh bridge.

16. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes Tom, the CMG is a JB340 stringthru bridge, the neck is a 1-5/8" nut on the same radius that they have used for years...like other companies who stuck with a same specced neck for years it works keeps the people happy so why change. :)

all 7 of my Jacksons including the neckthru's have the same necks on them.

( IF they are different, it is so slight I cant feel it )

17. what is the neck like? slim, chunky, etc.

18. I've just done a tiny bit of research, and have found out that the jackson neck is not as thin as Ibanez/esp but thinner than a P bass. is this correct?

19. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    YOU SAID: "I need a second and backup bass, I have a gig soon where I need two basses (for different tunings)"

on stage I tune my main bass to DGCF or CGCF, and just transpose the fret positions. If I'm gonna get drunk, then I'll bring 2, tune one to EADG, and one to DGCF, and use em both during a show so I don't have to remember to transpose.( some people like an open E string, some don't. )

if THAT is your only dilemma, I wish I only had that problem :) I am used too much as a studio player to worry about necks, it is the tone producers are after, so my selection covers all possibilities. Yes I do have a MM, yes I do have a Jazz, Yes I do have a 5 stringer, and a ton of 4's, and ALL of them sound different.

I never owned a ESP/LTD Tom, so I cant say yes or no, but the P bass neck is more rounded on the back not flat like the ESP/Ibanez/Jackson, and the list goes on.

for a "backup bass", I dont care about necks, I don't care about names, my #1 priority is that I just want the thing to sound the way I want it to sound if I have to pay 200, or 1000.00 because I won't be using it for 4 hours straight, and if the neck is a little different than what I am used to....so what right?

not to sound harsh, but this is turning into a stupid this VS that debate. Why don't you go to the store play em and figure out which one will do the most good for you? IF at that point you like the Jackson neck better, you can find a nice used CMG or CMG/AGB, or a Concert/Charvel Model Series in your favorite color. ( OR you can find something else that you like better/cheaper )...whatever.

Some people PREFER a well rounded neck, some prefer a flat neck. The only reason this thread has not been bombarded by the Fender lovers is you did not include that on your list of candidates.

I have necks with a 1-3/4 nut, with a 1-5/8 nut, 1-1/2 nut....nothing else changes as far as tone and looks, and I enjoy playing them because of the tones they produce, not the debate over which is fatter/thinner/faster/painted/oiled/satin...etc..

naturally all the content in this post is MHO only, and not to persuade you into thinking that "this is better than that"