Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one's the best: Agie 750, TF 550, Glock Soulhead, SWR SM900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovastic, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Aguilar DB 750

53.7%
  2. ThunderFunk TFB550

23.9%
  3. SWR SM 900

11.9%
  4. Glockenklang SoulHead

10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    Hi!

I need an amp that'd be apropriate for muisc from Funk to Soul and Reggae, and yet I'd like the amp that would bring out the natural sound of my bass and my fingers thoroughly, without much coloration.

My options are:

Aguilar DB750
    Thunderfunk 550
    Glockenklang Soulhead
    SWR SM 900.

If you have some other ideas, please tell.

Thanks

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd go for the Aggie 750

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Voted for the Glock, haven't played the ThunderFunk or the Agi but I can tell you that the Glock rocks xD.

4. Personally I find the SM900 out of place in this list, but that's just me so no flames please. I would have a hard time choosing from the remaining three. It would depend on the type of music, volume levels needed etc.

5. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    I already mentioned the type of music. And power is not an isue, since the weakest of those would be enough.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok, I've owned the Glockenklang Soul. Amazing amp but with your styles of music I can't say that it'll give you enough volume. You'll probably run out of headroom pretty fast.

The SWR is ok. I could never get a sound that I loved out of it. I honestly have never owned one but I've played out of them many times.

The Thunderfunk is loved by many people here. I've played one once in a store so take it for what it is. It sounds similar to an Eden without the hyped high end. I couldn't get a sound that sounded like my bass, and I tried many cabs. It was a VERY punchy amp. I tried to dial out the punchiness (again, only in a store. Not much time with the amp) but I just couldn't tame it.

The Aguilar is a very simple amp and it's one of my favorites. You can't get a bad sound out of it. It sounds giant. One of my favorite amp/cab combos is the DB750 through a Bergantino HT322. Pure heaven. The amp retains the sound of your bass but adds a nice cushion to the low end. The poweramp is a thing of beauty. It really makes your sound as big as a house.

Being that the Aguilar is 50 pounds, I decided on an Ashdown EVOII. I can't say enough good things about this amp. The only downside I could point out is that if you like extended high end than this amp won't do it. I like a deeper, darker tone so it's perfect for me. It sounds giant and in this way is similar to the Ashdown. It's can do vintage or modern and you can add a bit of grit if you prefer. I play jazz with it but it's more than capable in a rock, country, funk, fusion, R&B, Soul setting...whatever really. It flat out KILLS for Reggae. Again, the only thing I can't see it working for would be the all out slap thing. Then again, Mark King used one for years. I guess that's why they came out with the Mark King signature amp, to fill the void and do the dryer slap thing.

You may also want to check out the Eden WT550. It's really a great amp if you want some color and punch. It seems to be more modern sounding where as the Thunderfunk seems to be more old school.

What speakers are you using?

7. I guess you missed the part that said "I would have a hard time choosing...".

Have a nice day.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah, I just reread you want an amp with little coloring of it's own. Disregard the Eden suggestion.

I also feel that the SWR is out of place with this group.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DB750 is a great amp, but I wouldn't call it uncoloured.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Thunderfunk, generally not a big SWR fan and haven't tried the Glockenklang.

this is a real apples/oranges comparison. You have amps of different type (ss/tube), size (15lbs to 40lbs) and different prices ($1000 new to $2400 new).

There's plenty of amps that can be recommended, but it's hard to narrow that list down without knowing which criteria beyond sound are important to you - size/weight/price? Do you need parametric eq? Do you need two channel? etc etc

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both, and I'd disagree with this. The Thunderfunk CAN get old school, the timbre knob is a wonderful thing, but the default flat sound is quite hifi.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is good to know. I know that I'd like to get an opportunity to play through one again. I'm not looking for an amp now but I'm quite curious about the Thunderfunk.

12. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I just bought a Aguilar DB 680 preamp and I've heard that it's similar to the 750. If thats true or somewhat true then the 750 should reproduce what you bass and fingers sound like. My 680 allows me to hear my bass and fingers in a way I've NEVER heard. It's simply a whole new world.

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    +1

Exactly!!! Couldn't have said it better myself... :hyper:

I have two cabinets that I use, depending on the venue. A Bergantino NV215 and an Eden D410XLT. Both are 4 Ohm. Sometimes I'll plug both cabs into the DB750... :eek: :eek: ...talk about a wall of sound! :D

"emjazz" also mentions the Ashdown Evo-II, which wasn't on your list. I will second "emjazz" on his recommendation of the Evo's, too. I have an ABM500-RC Evo-II. I've had it long before I got the Aggie. My Evo is a great amplifier; however, seeing as how both of my cabs are 4 Ohm, I can only use one or the other, which is okay. Right now I'm having an issue with the Evo: the transformer is believed to be in a "weakened" state. Since I've had the amp for less than a year, it's still under warranty, but there are no "authorized" Ashdown dealers in Hawaii. I'm dealing directly with Ashdown over in Jolly Old England. They have supposedly sent me a new transformer, but it has yet to arrive. Once it gets here, I'll install the new transformer, and pray that the problem has been solved...

Based on your list of choices, I say go with the DB750. More power than you'll ever need, so simple to use, and you will get the sound you're looking for. :bassist:

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Normally I'd recommend the Glockenklang. I just don't think that there is a better head out there - MOST OF THE TIME. However, I voted for the 750 because of the types of music you want to play. The 750 does not do the same sonic nirvana as the Glock, but it is a lot louder - something you need.

Me, I'm gonna stick with my Glockenklang HeartCore! And yes, I could buy a 750 if I wanted to!

Dan K.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Agreed and agreed.

Well, if you're gonna bring the HeartCore into this than there's no contest........

16. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I haven't played HeartCore, but I've heard it (if it wasn't some other Glock) and I think that it would definitly reproduce the exact sound of bass and fingers (better than the other listed amps IMO), but I don't think that it has enough punch for Funk. Am I right? :bassist:

P.S. groovastic said that power is not of much importance so, sorry for my ignorance, but I don't see why HeartCore would be much different from SoulHead :confused:

17. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    And you think I should go with a HeartCore...
    That would be a final decision?
    Would I get evrything I said I want from an amp?
    thanks for your help

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you're willing to spend $2400 US than it's a great idea.

19. +1.... however, all other things being equal... given the size, weight and price difference, it would be hard to not recommend the TF... so I will!

20. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    the aggie will be smooth and have a killer finger bass tone but WILL have a colored tone. the TF and Glock will have a more natural un colored tone and will both sound amazing. the choice is yours jedi master. :bassist: