Which Outboard Preamp (if at any)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by got2getbetter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. I've searched all the outboard preamp threads and check basstasters.com, but I'm still not sure which one to get. Here's the deal:

I'm running my '78 P through my Ashdown Mag 300H to either an aguilar GS212 or S210 (both 4 ohm), but the pickup, while sounding quite good, doesn't have enough output to push the Ashdown. I need something that's going to boost the output going to my amp but not color the sound as much as a SABBDI. I'd like it to be able to tighten up the sound some without adding much warmth (between the ashdown and an old precision I've got that covered).

I've been thinking sadowsky, fodera, or maybe demeter. Any suggestions?
  2. Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster Pedal?

25 db of clean boost at your fingertips.

Well, toe tips I guess. :D :D
  3. Sadowsky outboard preamp.......
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This would be the one I would buy also. After that, I'd get the DB-924 from Aguilar.

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Aguilar DB924 :bassist:
  6. If, as you say, you are looking to boost the output of the pickup WITHOUT "colouring the sound", I can't really see the point in going to the expense of a pre-amp and I still think the Booster pedal would solve your dilemma. :)
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, that is a good point. I forgot to think about that when I blurted out the Sadowsky or Aguilar suggestion.

8. My only experience in this area is the Aguilar DB924 and I believe it would suit your needs very well.
  9. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    bass preamp = Alembic
  10. Yes but, at the risk of flogging an already dead horse, surely a bass preamp will "COLOUR" the sound of the bass which is precisely what is NOT wanted here. :meh: :meh:

Or am I missing the point completely? :confused: :confused:

(See post #6 above)
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Aguilar DB924 is as transparent as they get! :)
  12. Now I'm REALLY confused!!

A "transparent" preamp? No Bass Mid or Treble controls then as, presumably, you won't need them if is there is no "colouration" of the sound? :confused: :confused:

I genuinely do not understand. :eyebrow:
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hope this helps

# A pre-amp is something extra in the signal path. Its not supposed to modify the signal in any way, but since its in the way of the signal path, it will.
    # Generally, more expensive pre-amps use better parts, better linearity, better impedances, and are generally more transparent.
    # Conversely, cheaper pre-amps introduce colourations that often veil the sound. And for solid state pre-amps, introduce an electronic 'haze' over the music.
    # Compared to passive devices, active pre-amps often have better dynamics, soundstage, and 'life', if the source component is very good, the difference is very small. However, passive devices have a breathtaking transparency.
  14. How about just raising the pickups?
  15. Thanks for that. :)

So a top level passive preamp - complete with it's breathtaking transparency - will do nothing more than boost the signal to the amp/power amp? :meh:

Seems like one hell of an expensive way to warm up your signal doesn't it? :confused:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yep...if ya just wanna hear "the bass" & nothing more. Could be a good or bad thing...

17. So (and, believe me, I have no particular allegiance to Seymour Duncan :) ), to go back to my initial post, why would you spend lots of dosh on a top level preamp to simply provide signal boost when there is 25 db of clean boost available via the SD Pickup Booster Pedal?

Or is it the case that there is "clean" boost and then there is "CLEAN" boost, which comes (as do most things), at a price?? :D ;) :D ;)
  18. The sadowsky is zero gain so useless for this specification. However, a Sadowsky with a P bass will tighten up the bottom end and clear out mud so subjectively the thing will sound louder in the mix. Believe me, I have been using a Sadowsky for six years just for this!

Go for a simple boost pedal. Or a Boss GEB7, even, if you can put up with a little bit of hiss.

You don't HAVE to blend in effect on the SABDDI. You can use it "transparent".
  19. There already about as high as I would raise them; plus I like to dig in a bit sometimes and there about as high as they can go without the strings hitting the polepieces.

Anybody have any experience with the aguilar on a passive p-bass? I'm curious to see if it tightens up the bottom end like the sadowsky.

Thanks for the responses guys
  20. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one and it will do what you ask! As a matter of fact the Aggie and the Sadowsky are designed by Alex Aguilar, while they sound slightly different they are both 2 band and are basically the same class of preamps. the aggie will also give you low deep bass and crystal clear highs even with the highs on max! this pre does not distort, breakup or change the way your bass sounds, that's why I got this pre.

P.S. as far as your pups being as high as possible without touching the strings I would say is no good, besides touching the poles when you dig in you stand the chance of getting that wobbling effect from the magnetic pull of the pups, which actually happened to me!