1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which overdrive sounds like this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nevandal, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    What distortion pedal do I need to get a sound like this...

http://media.putfile.com/nev-nin-his-bass
    OR
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6w5ui

My rig is a Gallien Krueger 1001RBII into a GK Neo 412.

Most distortion pedals or overdrive or fuzz pedals used on bass seem like they distort WAY too much....for instance, the Big Muff, it just distorts so much that it sounds like static on bass.

The clip I posted seems like a really subtle distortion, yet it still has an edge to it, and a really well defined growl.

Any suggestions how to replicate this sound?

2. didn't sound that subtle but i'm guessing something like an electronix mess drive or smts sounds like that

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    that was not subtle.

4. Rockles

Rockles

Feb 26, 2008
    that sounds like the sound i get when i turn my knobs poorly on the ODB-3. its the sound ive been trying to get rid of lol

edit: but yeah it gives you that kindof "fuzzy" sound when you turn the OD knob and the gain knob pretty high.

5. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    I suppose subtle was the wrong word. My apologies if I have somehow ripped a hole in the space-time continuum by choosing the wrong word. Lol.

Anyways, It just seems like a more throaty low gain or mid-gain overdrive with lots of growl, as opposed to the hyper compressed fuzz I've been hearing from the big muff on bass.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Actually it sounds more like a (nearly) all out fuzz running into an agressive low-pass filter. there are some fuzzes/overdrives with this voicing.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021