Which P-Bass body? '54 or '62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazuhank, Aug 7, 2005.

1. '54 P-Bass with Tele headstock

52 vote(s)
  2. '62 P-Bass with standard headstock

62 vote(s)
  1. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Help me with a Warmoth bass I am making. I am going for the look and vibe of the Fender Rosewood Telecaster. So the natural choice would seem to be the '54 body with the Tele bass headstock but I couldn't help but consider the '57/'62 body. So I'm throwing it out there for the TB public.

Below are some ROUGH photoshop mockups. I'm not set on the P/J configuration, I'd actually like to put a Gibson mudbucker in the neck with a standard p in the middle on the '54 body, but there would be plenty of upcharges for this option. Anyways, check out the rough pics and let me know what you think.

'54 rosewood

'62 rosewood
  2. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I forgot to mention that the body will not be a solid rosewood (too heavy and expensive) but a Black Korina body with a laminated rosewood top. The neck will be a solid rosewood neck with an ebony fingerboard. So a second question would be as much as I love ebony boards, should I go with all rosewood to preserve the "Rosewood Tele" vibe?

Thanks again!
  3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Where'd you make that?
  4. BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Stay with ebony - good contrast between the woods and better tone qualities.
    Just my 2 cents!
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    thanks for the rapid replies!

I made the images with photoshop and misc. photos off the web. Keep the opinions/suggestions coming!
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I never liked the amoeba pickguard and it dosen't go with the split P pickup. So I have to say '62.
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I voted 54 because I'm drunk.

Well and also because it looks a lot like the Cowpoke Precision.
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i voted the '62. i don't like the smaller style tele heads with such a big body.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I voted '62. If you were putting together something with the total vintage look (finish & pickup) I probably would've voted for the '54.

I'm wondering if the rosewood neck/ebony fingerboard will be much heavier than the stock maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. :confused: Hopefully it won't cause neckdive problems; it sure looks sweet.

10. how about the 62 P with the 54 tele neck? i bet that would look sweet too.
  11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    54 all the way!!! That thing would look smoking with the Chrome Dimarzio Model One, or even a true Gibson EB-0 pickup (I assume that to be what you mean by mudbucker). You just gave me gassing visualizing it, I want one for myself.
  12. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    what about a jazz bass with the p bass pickup with the old 50s tele style hedstock. :)
  13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The problem you will have adding a mudbucker is that the individual pole pieces will be too narrow spaced for regular fender string spacing. I've been very happy with a Kent Armstrong MM pickup in the P position of my project bass.
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    54 with ebony. A combinationthat will definatley stand out and drip vibe.
  15. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    I prefer the '54. Not only is the pickguard uniquely shaped, but the headstock is sleek.
  16. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The '62. I think it looks right and I'd go with the rosewood.
  17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    '62, of course I'm biased :)
  18. Actually it shouldnt be a problem. I didnt have any problems. Because it is so close to the neck, the strings are close enough that they go pretty much right over the pole peices.