1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which p-bass did I just buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, Mar 24, 2013.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK--local deal. Great price. Excellent bass. But I'm not sure of the model. It's got a pre-slotted BadAss II bridge (not strings through) and a satin finish. Neck is stamped 72971, pocket is 80720 with a big 4 on it.

Is it an American Special? American Standard?

Help? Pics attached.

Attached Files:

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    A couple more...

Attached Files:

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Last one...
    Oh, she weighs in at just under 10 lbs...

Attached Files:

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh Fender Gurus--please help me in my continuing quest for knowledge...

:cool:

5. Well... it's a 2011 something-or-other, i know that much, at least! :D

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Satin, BadAss bridge, sounds like a Highway one too me.

7. That's exactly what i was thinking... but it has that "60th anniversary" neck plate...

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    But no HWY 1 Switch...

9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    pickguard was changed from white to tort, maybe somebody change the plate as well. To the OP, there is not switch in the Highway One P.

But I am not a Fender expertise so dont trust in me :D

10. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
  11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Weren't the Hwy 1 discontinued?

12. The highway ones were still around in 2011. I agree with the guys who've said its a highway one. It has a 70s logo, satin neck/body(nitro finish), MiM tuners(like the AmSpecs), and preslotted BA 2. You could also check its circuitry to see if it has the greasebucket thingy. Great buy! I've always wanted one since they discontinued it.

13. Its a 2011 Highway One. I have the same bass.

14. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    US11 + 6 digits 2011

Satin Nitro finish and BA bridge - Highway 1 series

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, it's got 2 caps in the cavity--I do think it's got the "grease-bucket" going on. It sound great--and much different from my '77 P.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes they are but it does not mean that there are not some still available around, specially in a small music store, however if this is the case and the bass is a higway one, then it is a used one in great condition with a pickguard upgrade to tort and different neck plate, it was very commun people getting rip off of the grease bucket. I owned one and it is a great bass, I would not mind buy another if the price is right.

17. 2 caps = greasebucket. I pulled the circuit and converted the tone to a standard .047 cap, installed Fender '62 pups, a threaded saddle Fender bridge, and polished the satin finish to a gloss. I love that thing.

18. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    It is really nice--sounds and feels just great. I slapped a chrome cover over the p'up--my girlfriend calls her "sexy."

19. I love the look of pickup/bridge covers, but just can't get along with them!

20. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I had it on the '77, but between it and the tumb rest, it was just too much! :cool:

But it does look nice on this one!

IMG_5299_zps21490c7f.