1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which P Bass should i buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grapevine, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MIM 50's p bass with upgrades

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. MIM standard P

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. usa Highway one

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Squier vintage modified with upgrades

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. grapevine

grapevine Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles
    so ive been looking at a few different p basses i found on craiglist. im trying to figure out which one would be the best deal for my needs. im just trying to get a p bass for some old school fun. i want to slap on some flats and get the old school thump going for fun. but i also want the bass to look good and most importantly feel good. so here are the choices ive found in my area

1. fender MIM 50's series p bass. blonde yellow body with maple board.
    it has an upgraded gotoh hi-mass vintage bridge and a symour duncan spb-3 quarder pounder p bass pick up. it is selling for $600 with case

2. fender MIM standard p bass. sunburst body with rosewood board.
    no upgrades on it. it is selling for $375

3. fender USA highway one P bass. burgundy body, black pickguard, rosewood board
    no upgrades. it is selling for $600 with case

4. Squier vintage moidified p bass. blonde natural body with maple board. black pickgaurd.
    pick up has been upgraded with a fender original 60's p bass pick up and the bridge has been upgraded to a gotoh hi-mass bridge. selling for $220

all of these look like great deals and all of them look cool or have potential.
    the price of the squier with the upgrades is making me want to buy it now. but im still unsure about the build quality and if it would feel playable. anyone have experince with that series of squiers or any of the other basses? my next choice would be the highway one because its usa made.

thoughts and opinions?

thanks

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Try them and buy the one that sounds and feels right. My preference in that list would be equally divided between the 50's Classic and the Highway One. But that may not be your preference.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

#2 if I had to pick but it is $75-100 overpriced unless it has a nice case.

#1 and #3 are definately overpriced and unless you can tell the difference between the USA and Indonesian pickups, I would avoid #3.

Personally, I would wait for a $750-800 2008 or newer American Standard, a $500-ish Highway One or a <$300 MIM in good shape.

Buyer's market right now and there are deals out there if you look.

grapevine likes this.
  4. grapevine

Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the responses. I'll keep looking for more deals. They're bound to be out there.

5. diamondsplit

diamondsplit

Jan 13, 2012
    N.J
    I would buy 2012 or newer American Standard the best investment. It is a 63 vintage sees bass but 700 bucks less I bought they Jade green and it has the 60's custom shop pick ups and it has the mint green pick guard. I have 2 basses i just purchased in the last 2 weeks 2015 Fender P bass and a 76 Carvin LB 70 and they are both such great basses. The 76 is ultra rare it has 2 passive hum buckers with precision body and headstock it has stereo and mono input jacks. Its something else and it was the same price as p bass back in 76. IF i were to sell that bass i would ask top dollar and the most amazing thing about it is the condition it has a few tiny nicks no dents or wear or buckle rash and its original except for case and back then the case was 42 bucks

6. diamondsplit

diamondsplit

Jan 13, 2012
    N.J
    You can find a newer p bass on here or guitar center for 799 or even less the other bass thats really good i would put it above the Highway one would be music man Sub bass made in America i have seen them go for 399 or even less and there killer basses

7. You should include the fender American special P bass $699 at guitar center and includes gig bag

DionClassic likes this.
  8. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Used American Standard.

lowstrung and gsgbass like this.
  9. Old-school thump with flats? Your choices is Fender Roadworn 50's Precision! I played dozen of American Standarts, Highways and Deluxes. And AVRIs. The closest thing to my Roadworn P is Custom Shop Heavy Relic. Seriously! Put a period-correct Fender True Vintage 58' pickup in mine and it absolutely kills it! If it didn't have "Made in Mexico" on the back of the headstock, it would easily go as a good worn AVRI :)

grapevine likes this.
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Cant go wrong with a MIM P-Bass. Offer $300 without case......add for case.

jg42 and grapevine like this.
  11. grapevine

Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I probably should have added that I want one with a maple fret board. I just love that look. And on a budget. So it narrows my choices. I'd buy the MIM standard instantly but I know I wouldn't be satisfied until I got that maple board. So I ended up choosing the squier because it was cheap and had upgrades and that look. (Trying to copy Michael League). So I cantacted the seller and they responded but now they won't respond to my follow up emails. Not sure what's wrong and it's been a few days. I think I'll have to wait it out a few more days or try again with another email address to see its still for sale.