1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which P bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Apr 25, 2010.

1. American Standard

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. 62 reissue

29 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. 2010 American Deluxe

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    1. American Standard
    2. 62 reissue
    3. 2010 American Deluxe

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You should get the one that you like best.

3. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    The American Standards have been absurdly good for the past two years or so. If I were to buy a new bass right now, I'd buy one of them (and I'm a J-bass guy).

4. I say 62... only because I'm gassing for one so bad.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I like the Deluxe because it has P/J pickups and has a passive /active switch. But have not seen one in the stores yet.

I like the American made P bass because it sounds great and feels great.

I like the 62 because of the vintage vibe but have not had the opportunity to play one yet.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Not much love for the American deluxe....

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I tried the new American Deluxe, and loved it. I didn't A/B it with an American Standard, but my impression was that its P pickup has more punch and aggression than the Standard, almost like a Lindy Fralin pickup. It sounded great, and was very nicely built. I'd still probably prefer the Standard, because I love the simplicity of a straight up P-bass.

8. I voted American Standard, but would go for either the Standard or 62 depending on which one felt better. I'm not hugely into the P/J Deluxe

9. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    62 RI IMO

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I wonder if the lack of love for the American Deluxe has anything to do with removing the dual jazz pickups down at the bridge?

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I haven't gotten around to playing the new American Deluxe yet so maybe you can field this, how is its tone compared to the dual jazz style pickup models?

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Looks like American standard is in the lead...

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I can only suggest what works for me, so as the owner of an Am Dlx, I voted that way. The truth is, it's a decision you should make with "hands on" comparisons.

14. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    I own an mia deluxe so that gets my vote, but i think thet 2010 has a j and not the hb at the bridge now,still would be my choice

15. You left off the MIM Standard, which I wound up getting after auditioning two MIAs and two MIMs through the same four amps; one MIM stood out above the rest. Plug them all in and let'em shoot it out.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, USA '62 RI by leaps and bounds.

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    johnj? can you give me a reason why its leaps and bounds better?

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my reason is that i simply prefer to play a P bass that is as close to the original design as possible (i.e. NO string thru or more mass on the bridge, and with one split pickup), with a nitro finish, same 7 1/2" radius, with the vintage RI pickups. and to me, the '62 RI is exactly what a p bass should sound like.

other incarations may be more suitable for others, but the other models just don't capture the same pbass 'vibe' to me.
    if i had a '62 RI, i would slightly reshape the neck (and re nitro the back of it) though, since they don't feel exactly like my original '62.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Of the three mentioned, the 62 reissue. (love those necks)

Also, check out the Roadworn P-Bass.
    Fender should make a rosewood version of this bass ?

20. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Yes, I like rosewood more myself...