Which P Pickup for TI Flats, '59 Style?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joker820, Jan 25, 2018.

1. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Good evening everyone, I have TI Flats on a J bass now and love them but am more of a P guy. Does anyone have a recommendation of which P Pickup will complement the mid-focused sound of these strings? I am thinking maybe a '59 style Pickup than the more common '60s style might do the trick. A few choices I know of are Klein '59, Curtis Novak PB-CC, or Lollar Overwounds. Currently I have two P Basses, one Fralin and one Lollar (both standard wind) that I could try but like keeping my options open. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Geezer P should be on your shortlist. It's actually a clone of the stock pickup in Bobby Vega's 1960 Precision.

Pbassmanca and joker820 like this.
  3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P.

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    You’ve got your answer! I’m with JimmyM on this. Geezers.

I have TI flats and Geezers on both my P Basses. Many compliments from other musicians.

JimmyM and joker820 like this.
  4. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Hmm might have to do some research on those pickups. Thanks guys!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    A stealth bargain is the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) P46. ($60)

Bass Pickups

TN WOODMAN, 96tbird and joker820 like this.
  6. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Funny you mention that, I was looking at those the other day!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Well worth your while, I think.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The clear E and full sound G string of TiJFF344 really shine up the nice Fender PV 63P pup ( with .1uf cap in 50% ~ 70% tone range).

Pbassmanca and joker820 like this.
  9. I have a Wilde pj set in a maple necked Fretless and is currently my best sounding bass.

10. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I’d start with your Fralin P, I enjoyed the TIs on my Glaub.

joker820 likes this.
  11. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

The Klein 59' is on my short list...:smug:

joker820 likes this.
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd just like to follow-up on my Fralin recommendation - a large part of why I said Fralin was because you already have it. I find it best to have a baseline - a pickup you use as a reference point. And then, if that pickup has a specific weakness you'd like to overcome, start looking at other pickups that can overcome that weakness. Otherwise you can start chasing an imaginary goal.

And before you move on to the next pickup, I strongly encourage you to dial in the setup and try different techniques. Don't try to assess it all in a day, I find it that these things take time and tweaking. Last, it may also be easier (and cheaper) to find the right flats for your basses, rather than the best pickup for the TIs.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    There is some good logic in your statements, although I don't like changing strings to suit the bass. I like to use the strings I like to use and I'm not interested in changing them out. But yeah, with a Lollar and a Fralin, I certainly wouldn't be too eager to change them out. Never tried either one, but from what I've heard, they both make great pickups.

joker820 and sikamikanico like this.
  14. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    I appreciate the input from ye wise men of TB :D