which P pickup has that low mid scoop?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tajue17, Aug 23, 2017.

1. so the LB100 I have is too high in the mids for me when I use a pick I was backing off the bass a 1/3rd which is great but i can't always think of that,,, its too bright! I was thinking a Lollar Pickup after hearing a Nash but what else would have that +bass +treb -mid EQ Smiley Face sound..

a couple people said its the empress body making it so bright but with an electric bass i don't believe that is the only reason..

need help.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You literally can always think of that.

bolophonic and sprag like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Precision basses have a mid bump. You want a scoop, you want a J.

4. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    You can try the Duncan spb 3. It's great for pick playing.

Zoobiedood and Yahboy like this.
  5. flat response, no color, handwound Aeros.

lowplaces likes this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Indeed it is, but an SPB-1 has more of a scooped EQ going on, too. Choose your output, really. If you like a little bit of gain, the SPB-3 is my choice. If you do clean stuff, too, go with the SPB-1.

7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Perhaps different cabinets? I use Aguilar GS112s which are a bit scooped by nature. I think they help neutralize the honk of my P Basses. Just a thought...

8. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    The Spb3 isn't as scooped as many people say, it has a giant bump in the lows and low mids and it's loud, but it still has that mid-heavy P tone going on. It's a heavy and weighty tone, I have them in 2 basses and I'm not a scoop fan. I agree with the comment above about needing a Jazz for the scoop, or even adding a J pickup to the P will work.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. when I say scooped I mean down on the mids just a little bit,,, I have a few P basses and this G&L sounds like its strung with stainless lights when it has med nickels ,, you can just keep plugging in different basses and when you get to this one its like wow turn the treb knob down half way.. a local guitar guy says there is a trick to put a capacitor on the input jack I'm going to try tomorrow.

10. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    I think that the pickups you may want are like the SPB-1 or the Antiquity

Hot P-Bass

Zoobiedood likes this.
  11. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    There are a couple of items that might cause a LB-100 to sound brighter than a Fender Precision bass, which are often overlooked.

1. The treble bleed cap on the volume pot.
    2. The tone circuit uses a .022uf cap instead of a .047uf cap.

Both of these components allow more higher frequencies to pass to the output jack.

I swapped out the stock pickup and electronics in my LB-100 and tried several pickups with a standard Precision wire harness.

Two Pickups I've tested that produce the tone you mentioned include the Nordstrand NP4 and the Fender Custom Shop 62. The David Allen 1088 precision pickup is another good choice, but it's tone has more mid frequency response than the Nordstrand and the Fender pickups. It may not be what you're looking for.

You might also try a different string. G&L basses typically ship out with D'Addario XL nickel or pro steel strings. Both strings are fairly balanced. Although the pro steels are a little more mid scooped than the XL nickel. I suggest trying a set of DR hi beams.

Hopefully what I've written helps you with solving your bass's bright tone.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021