Which P-style for aggressive, cutting through and bright sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I'm looking for a bright Precision style pickup for Punk...
    Recomended brands?
  2. Definately go with a pair of EMG active P pups. I just got a pair a couple days ago and they are the best thing that I have ever done for my bass.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  4. If you're gonna get EMGs, definitely get the active ones. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you only knew what the sound difference was. No offense Mock Turtle for your suggestion. Don't skimp with the selects to save a few dollars, the active ones are well worth the extra money.
  5. Thanks very much for your suggestions!

Would I need to install a preamp with battery for active?
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't know if I'd call EMGs "aggressive", other than that they meet your requirements.

DiMarzio will do better if you want a "grinding" type of tone. I use the older Model P (changed to DP120-something?). This is a passive pickup. Not as super clean as an EMG, but way more "attitude".

I use both pickups and like them both a lot, they just do different things.

As far as the preamp, the EMGs come with a preamp built into the pickup (this is why they are ACTIVE) and are prewired with volume and tone conrtrols and the output jack. You just remove ALL the wiring from your P bass and drop in the EMG harness, only soldering needed is for the battery connection.
  7. Would it work with a Yamaha RBX260?
    I have a 260 and; will active emgs only work for fender P?

I don't know too much about active pickups.
  8. I'm interested in what the difference in sound is(I might try out an active set myself)- can you elaborate?

I tried an EMG active PJ set in a CR Spector, and they were crisp, but the bass had a rosewood fretboard, so it didn't really cut.

I find the EMG Select P is quite clanky and bright with the ebony or maple fingerboard on my P basses.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It will work, but he controls and output jack are prewired to drop into a P-bass pickguard. You may have to do some wiring of your own to fit another type of bass (i.e. some of the leads may not be long enough for your bass).

Most important is the JACK. If the Yamaha uses a barrel type jack mounted through the wood rather than a regular jack mounted to a plate, then you'll need to buy a new output jack, too.
  10. Thanks brian so much for the advice.

Will I need to carve out holes for additional tone knobs?
  11. While the low-Z EMG is hot wide-range pickup, it's also an extremely clean pickup (if you do go with one of these, I recommend wiring it up with the 18v option shown on the instruction sheet unless you just don't have the room for the extra battery in the control cavity).

There are some really interesting crunchy pickups for aggresso playing. One that is worth looking into is the Aero Type 3 P pickup ( http://www.aeroinstrument.com/ ). This is made with a different kind of magnet. Output is not as high as their classic clean Type 1, but the Type 3 has an unusual kind of distortion caused by the different alloy used in the magnets. They are very proud of this pickup's unique sound. If I was a pure aggresso 4-string player, I'd try it for sure. Call them.

Another option is Lindy Fralin ( http://www.fralinpickups.com/ )--he will overwind your pickup to the degree desired to get you the kind of sound you want. Again, you will want to call so they can understand exactly what you're after.
  12. After doing research, I've realized my setup and drilling issues...

Thanks, Turtle, Kuro, Brianrost, Angus, Bassman and trash very much for your help!

Does anyone know any online stores/catalog stores that sell EMG BTC control systems?, cause I'm stumped!