1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 6, 2013.

1. G&L SB-1

21 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Carvin PB-4

17 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Sandberg Electra VS4

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Fender '57 or '58 Vintage Series P

44 vote(s)
    37.6%
  5. Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

21 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. Carrots! (I had to)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I have about $700-$1200 to spend on a P-bass. ($1200 is the absolute upper limit.)

I absolutely want a swamp ash body, and vintage (or at least small) frets. No P/Js or bridge pickups. I prefer an active preamp (which limits me right there.) I also want to avoid parts basses, Warmoth, etc. Love that stuff, but I just don't have time for projects anymore. I need either a factory-direct bass in minty new condition, or a like-new used bass in original condition with few to no mods.

So, with these picky requirements in mind, here's what I'm considering :D

G&L SB-1 - I can order one with the specs I want and it will come out around $1100 - no active preamp but killer pickup. No string through body bridge, which I like, but doesn't really matter as G&Ls have awesome bridges. I own an M2000 and an L2000 which is both a reason to and a reason not to get a third G&L :)

Carvin PB-4 - Pretty much meets all my criteria - would be about $1100. Bonus since it has an active preamp, string through body bridge, and I can even get stainless steel small frets. I don't like their tuning pegs, but I think I could replace those. The one downside is that it has a 1.54" nut and my mammoth hands prefer wider necks. I can do Jazz width but only if the profile/back of neck is meaty/chunky.

Sandberg Electra VS4 - Not swamp ash but still a contender due to rave reviews, active preamp, and good price point. Jazz width neck works against it though. I'm not a huge fan of the black hardware on the sunburst ones but I can order a white/tort one from Germany for roughly the price of the ones that distributors have in the U.S. if I want.

Fender '57 or '58 vintage series reissue P - About the only reissue Fender P (without the the 70s logo anyway, which I don't like) that has a swamp ash body, at least in olympic white. Small frets, cool anodized guard, nice wide neck, small frets, bone nut. Only thing I'm iffy on is the maple board. I prefer rosewood on a P bass for some reason. These are out of my range so I'd have to find a used one.

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (44-64) - Can't really afford a US one. The Skyline Glaubs have ash bodies, I think. Small Lakland frets, string through body bridge, all the features I like. Unsure about the delrin (plastic?) nut but that could swapped for bone if I really want. A strong contender. Some nice ones in the classifieds, but wish I could order my own... I guess BestBassGear has them, but probably more than I want to pay.

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Gah! And they have lots of colors!

Warning for anyone who reads this thread:
    I change my mind about basses more often than my wife changes outfits when we are getting ready to go out for the evening. Lol.

3. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm looking for something similar but with a J neck or at least something smaller than my '57 RI neck. I'll let the '57 go when I find its replacement. There is very little out there (used) unless you consider a PJ. I'm trying to buy a used Sadowsky Metro PJ but that is more than $1200 although I really like the VTC. Isn't the Bob Glaub passive?

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'd go with the Lakland since you want a wider neck. I like the Hanson pickups a lot and don't miss an active preamp on my 44-64, even though I usually prefer active, like you.

The G&L will have it's own, unique, G&L sound, which I don't think of as a typical P-bass sound. That's not to say you wouldn't dig it, jsut that it's different.

I haven't played the Sandberg or Carvin P-bass models, so I can't add much to the discussion, there.

5. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I love the thin vintage style frets and definitely think you will not need a preamp with that setup. The maple board with Alder body is a great Pbass combo btw.... the maple opens up the high end a bit - love that combo no matter who builds it and would give it a try before you rule it out. Have not played the G&L and am surprized you could get a USA SB1 for 1100 - perhaps its a Tribute? That MFD pbass pickup is not going to sound just like the Fender vintage split-coil. The Skyline Glaub and the Fenders would also be nice choices and have authentic tone, love them both. Hanson pickups are very nice. Play them all and then decide!

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahah, wish I could play them all but we're very short on decent stores in Omaha, most of them don't carry any of this stuff.

Yeah, the G&L SB-1 and LB-100 both start at $1050 shipped at Gearhounds.com. You can add options from there, but the best part is, they'll do 15% off if paid in full upon purchase... so that's like under $900! What I would be looking at is $1100 after 15% off but that's because I threw some upgrades on it.

I love the MFD Split coil but I already have two G&Ls so I am kinda thinking of something else. The Carvins are intriguing - and have the stainless steel option - (I have those frets on my SB50001 and they are like jewelry) but I'm a bit concerned about the thin neck.

And yeah the Fender is still very much on the table too.

7. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    My '57 AVRI is burst/maple with flats and has a nice big round vintage tone to it. The neck is pretty big like an old precision. I don't consider this bass overly versatile although that might change a bit with some rounds on it. You should be able to buy these for under $1000 (at least the ones made a few years back).

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Man, Fender is kicking a$$ in the poll. Heh heh. I appreciate the opinions, guys, keep 'em comin'!

I don't necessarily NEED active but I like having the added volume/tonal flexibility.

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    personally, i'd go with G&L. the options, price and plekking alone make it worth it, IMO. you already have 2 G&Ls so you know what to expect with the neck profiles. and even though you already have both an L and M series bass, the SB-1 would be yet another flavor in the tone stable, even with the MFD pickup.

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    A very valid point. Cannot beat the bang-for-buck factor, for sure. This was my original plan, but then I started messing around looking at other stuff and GASing for the less-familiar... hahaha

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't overlook the American Standards. The vintage colors aren't there but, there's some nice off the rack stuff from them.

If I was getting another, I would run the rack at every Fender retailer. Then again, I'm a Fender fan.

12. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

My vote would be for a nice used fender American standard p. you'd be able to buy your wife a $400-600 dress with the leftover cash. A close runner up would be the Bob Glaub.. It's killer!

13. I have a Skyline Glaub for sale better action then my Warwick Stage II for 5x as much. Nearly mint certainly excellent.

Black, mint pick guard, maple board sounds killer. It's my second P bass my other is my 35 year old Ibanez P that I most love, I guess I'm really used to it.

PM me if interested I will make you a great deal.

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah, I just sold my American Standard P. It was very nice, but I sold it because I decided I want an ash body and vintage-style (small) frets.

I'm strongly considering the Glaub, though I'd prefer one with a rosewood board anr red guard; there's one in the Classifieds I'm looking at. We'll see though. :D

15. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Get the white AVRI 57 P and don't look back. Can be had used for $1100 here on TB.

16. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Considering the white AVRI 57 P in the Classifieds as well as the black / tort / rosewood Glaub. If other people would buy these things, it would make my decision easier :)

17. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Decisions, decisions. Got a Carvin catalog today and these PB4s look really nice. I also tried putting a Hipshot Ultralight on my SB5001, just to test it, and it seems to work.

18. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I bought the well used blue Sadowky P yesterday so I'm doing my part :)

19. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Good! :D

P.S. Put a tort guard on it ;)