Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which PA amp is better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am beefing up my PA. I am looking at the QSC RMX 850. I will have 300 to spend. Plus 50 bucks maybe. I will be buying from musicians fiend probably because of the free shipping. Or I will be buying a Crown XLS 402. I have heard that the Crown amps will not function on one channel if, say the other one is blown. I am leaning for the QSC. I will not get Nady crap. So any ideas? If you have one to sell also along these lines, I will consider it. I need it quick!

Trevis

2. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    Our band uses 2 Crown CE1000's and they are great.We got them for $399.I think that price is still current.Watch out for the XLS402.I think they only have binding post outputs.Not sure about the QSC models as far as output hookups but you may want to check.As far as the Crowns not working with one blown channel,I don't know.That is the first I've heard that but I never even thought about it since you really have to abuse Crowns to blow channels.

3. mastadulog

mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    is there something wrong with nady? just wondering. i plan on getting a qsc 850 too when i come up with enough money. i think its good money for the amp with more than enough power to drive a large hall of some sort. more than i'll ever need. so i think you should go with the qsc.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The xls has binding posts, which are fine for me. And it has a single Neutrik. The QSC has 2 Neutriks and binding posts. I think I am definitely leaning towards the QSC. I have heard good things about it, but I am not sure. Basically i am switching the power amps on my older powered mixer. Using the monitor outs as the mains, and the internal power amps as monitor power. So I think the QSC is a bit better and more configurable. Pirce/feature ration seems a bit better too. Any other suggestions, or someone willing to sell????

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I forgot, the QSC has better inputs, too. Anyways, Nady's are crap. They are very optimistically rated as far as power goes, and they are made of very cheap parts. I think the QSC is a better buy. I also have a service center in town.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't want to buy through ebay. I hate bidding wars, and I am not going to be able to try before I buy. If it's new, this isn't so bad. But I will never buy used without trying it.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Crown has a good reputation, but I've used an old QSC MX1500a for many years and it just keeps on crankin'. My next power amp will be a PLX 3002. After assurances from Bob Lee at NAMM, I'm confident that it will hold up under our PA requirements.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Visit the Web sites of the brands you're considering. Download the user's manuals for the models you're interested in. Next to trying the amps out yourself, it's one of the best ways to become familiar enough with the amps to start your decisionmaking process.

9. QSC has it together when it comes to service. I had a problem with a USA 1310 a couple of years ago. QSC had it fixed and back to me is less than 2 weeks. I've used Crown, Peavey, Carvin, Carver, and Rane power amps in different bands over the years. When I need a power amp these days, the first place I usually look is QSC. I just bought a PLX 1202 for my bass rig last week. I love it.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    cool, thanks for all the feedback(no pun intended). I think I will go with the QSC RMX 850. It sounds like the better of the two.