1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which PA speaker(s) for vocals?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Looking for speaker(s) to run vocals through, mainly for practice and possibly small shows (ex. house parties). No bass or drums, maybe a guitar at most will go through the PA. The speaker(s) will have to compete with a loud drummer, me on bass, and 2 distorted guitars, and will be powered by one side of a Crown Micro-Tech 1200 for now. The selection has been narrowed down to:

(2) - Peavey PR-12 Neo
    (2) -Yahmaha BR12
    (1) -Kustom KPC 215H

Which should I choose?

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Out of those choices, I'd probably go with Yamaha. Though I'm a Mackie fan for PA speakers myself.

3. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Anyone else?

4. jamontap

jamontap Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Cartersville, GA
    i'd definitley go with yamaha out of those choices also. Another good choice in or around that price range is JBL in my opinion.

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    eventually, you want some SRM 450's... but get the Yamahas for now. My band had pr12's for a bit, and then had some Yamahas on loan--- and the Yamahas beat them hands down.

What about getting *one* really good PA speaker instead of two middling ones? Clarity counts for more than power for vocals, IMO. Trade the crown in and add cash and get one SRM 450. I am really all about these speakers. They'll do it all and also keep their resale value for ya.

Joe

6. ric1312

ric1312 Inactive

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Being a singer for quite a long time, I would say don't even bother with a pa, because then you have to buy monitors to hear yourself on stage as well.

Try out a bose L1

Every singer I've had sing through my L1 instantly lit up and was very surprised because they could really hear themselves sing very well.

If you can wing it get a bose L1 system. Go to bose and check out "products for musicans," and go to the forum.

I use two for my rock trio. It makes vocals much easier, as they spread out everywhere. You won't have to worry about being right in front of a monitor, and if you use it right you can get it way louder before feedback than a regular PA, for vocals.

I would get at least one bass module otherwise it doesn't have any low end ooomph.

It's also light,very easy to transport, and setup. I can set up two systems set up for my trio in 15 minutes tops and ready to play with no tweaking.

Someone mentioned clarity is more important that power for vocals. Well, there simply is not a sound system around that has better clarity of vocals than the bose L1

Next thing you want, is to pair it with a really good mic. Most on the bose forum use om5s, I would like to try the new om7, I have a sennheiser 945e, it slices through a mix quite easily.

Be prepared though to hear your voice exactly how it is, maybe with a little mic coloring. And that could please you or shatter your ego depending on how good your voice is. The L1 quickly points out flaws and makes you a better singer if you use it a lot.

Unless you buy their new system L2 with the mixer add on, the L1 doesn't have vocal effects. Most users though report that their voice sounds so nice, after some practice they don't feel the need to cover it up with heaps of reverb.

I've been using mine for over a year now, rehearse with it twice a week, and have played a few gigs with it. I have nothing but nice things to say about it. Everything on the site it true. I've been to a couple of jam nights with regular systems and I will never use house sound again, unless the place is so huge and packed with people my L1 isn't powerful enough. Even then I might not play the place and limit my gigs to no more than a couple hundred. After playing through my L1, the usual pa system just sounds like crap to me. FOH maybe not so much, but almost always the stage sound is crap what with monitors and amps blaring and not being able to hear my vocal properly.

And yes, I have owned my own PA system in the past and knew how to use it right. I often did my own sound with my crappy little pa and got better sound than most house sound would give me, but then again it's a pain to bring your own PA and riggs on top of that.

with my bose I plop them down, plug in and go.

7. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I really appreciate the in depth replies. The thing is though, these speakers will be sitting in the basement 95% of the time for practice so the singer and the band can hear him. Every single place I've played or been went to see other local bands has had PA support for the whole band.

Would it be more realistic to just get a kick back monitor or 2 instead of PA speakers?

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've had great luck buying older gently-used (high-end) PA/Monitor speakers (E-V/JBL) that sound way better than some of the newer (entry-level) models available today.

There's probably some for sale, (in the link below), and I'd start checking your craigslist/local pawn-music shops/other classified ads daily for bargains on quality used PA gear for your situation.
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/

Good luck on your search...:)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021