1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Pbass would you go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etaym, Mar 27, 2006.

1. etaym

etaym Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    A mid 70s all original with maple fretboard or the new 60th anniversery P bass with the S1 switch? :confused:

they are almost the same price (about $400 more for the 70s).

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Unless it's too heavy, I'd take the mid 70's one, and of course supposingly it is really all original and in exc++ condition.

But in another hand, I have a brand new P w/s1 switch and it's awesome.

Cheers
    Jay

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If the 70's is indeed all original and in good condition, I'd definitely go that route. It's just the vintage vibe, yaknow?

Also, IMO, the S1 switch has never been as appealing on any P bass as it is on Jazz basses. Any Fender I've played with the switch just sounded lifeless and weak in parallel.

Is there any way you can play both? I'd suggest, if it's possible, try to play the vintage Fender before you buy, just to be sure of the feel and all.

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    The s-1 with is great on my jazz.. but on the P bass.. never found it useful. I ll for the mid-70 but if it sound good... i tried a lot of P from the 70ies and they are not all really good. some are awesome other are ****..
    i say dont go on a specific kind of bass but go for the bass itself...

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    70's all the way.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 70s bass will be brigter/grindier/harder sounding, the new bass will be warmer/fatter/mellower. Its a matter of taste. If you're going to go with the 70's bass, make sure you work it over carefully looking for:

1) even relief on both sides of the neck, and some range left on the truss rod.

2) no dead spots.

The new bass is all but guarenteed to have no such problems.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I did the mod on my MIM jazz, and i also played a american P s-1 at a shop.

I think the jazz doesnt make THAT much differance unless you have a big amp and/or turn it up. (I only use it because it seems to have higher output in series, and thats just enough to drive my distortion mod)

and i think it is quite similar for the P aswell

8. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    yeah? on my jazz it make a great difference, it boost a lot the low-end, i found it useful as a Slapswitch btw..

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd go for a 90's P bass without the S-1. But since that wasn't the choice, I'd go for the new one and just ignore the S-1. I have never played a mid-70's P that I liked.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd play 'em both and take wichever one sounded/played best. Sight unseen, I'd go with the new one. 70's P's are hit or miss in my experience.

11. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The current American made PBass is better made than most of the fender stuff from the 70's.

The fact is that after 65 when CBS bought Fender is when the quality went out the door .

In other words the 70's Fender stuff being so bad is what started the whole vintage craze.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd only go for the '70s if: (1) it's not one of those 13 pound "boat anchors" Fender cranked out in that era; (2) it's in excellent condition; (3) you prefer maple fretboards (as I do); and (4) you want a '70's P-bass tone. The 60th Anniv. model is a nice modern/vintage blend, because it's a current Am. Ser. with graphite reinforced neck, S-1, etc., but with the "Original P-bass" pickup normally reserved for the American Vintage models. So it might actually sound more "vintage" than the '70's bass. I've tried quite a few P-basses from the 70's and early '80's, and I much prefer the feel of the current models. So the new one would probably be my choice, and I'm considering it.

I've had the S-1 on a 2003 Jazz and 2004 P. While I think it's much more useful on the J, I've come to believe it's useful on the P-bass as well. In my current band, my P is my main axe, and I'd like the parallel tone on some tracks, but the S-1 doesn't work with the Seymour Duncan pickup I've installed. I'm having a fretless P assembled now, which will have a series/parallel switch.

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    1970's...

(1,000th post!)

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    funny how some experiences come to be radically different.

i am still blown away by what the S1 switch adds to my P, but found it quite useless (no real audible difference) with my J. sold the J then, maybe that was a bad one though.

i often have to jump from one style to another, and the S1 switch allows me to switch from vintage to modern to vintage tones etc. by push/pulling a knob, and that's very fine for me.

cheers
    jay

15. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Go for the vintage. Especially with a maple FB, it will sound AWESOME.

16. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    70's.....make sure it's in good playing condition.

The mojo/vibe alone makes it worth it.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I dunno ... I had a all blonde (maple&ash) 70s P bass really loud and punchy very strong attack, so I guess that's my choice.

I must take just ever so slight exception with this though.

"The fact is that after 65 when CBS bought Fender is when the quality went out the door"

Not totally true ... I think Fender quality held up pretty well, atleast in bass'es until 1968, the last year they used nitro laquer finishes. I personally find virtully no difference in quality or sound until 69.

18. i really like the look of the new '50's p-bass
    stunnin