1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Pedal Should I Get Next?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by velalv, Jul 6, 2016.

1. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    So, I am entertaining effect GAS. I'm playing mostly Contemporary Christian Music in church, and occasionally I'll play out with a cover band when time allows. One of our big draws in our local church circuits is that my wife and I take hymns and do them as funk covers (nothing over the top, but just adding some slapping and some groove). My standard setup is a Musicman Bongo through GKMB500 through a Berg CN 112. I have a Keeley Bassist for my Compressor, a Ghost Dispatch Delay/Reverb, a Grizzly Bass, and Micro Q envelope filter. I get great sounds out of the Micro Q at home, and I cannot get it dialed in for my desires on stage. So my I play my funky hymns clean, and use the Ghost Dispatch for some atmospherics before we get started into the groove. I have a PT Nano, so if I switch out my Micro Q, what would you all recommend? I am open to just about anything and am just trying to get some ideas. Thanks!

2. You cannot go wrong with a Zoom B3 , MS60b or MS70CDR.

3. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Shoot that's a good worship board. Maybe a modulation pedal? I usually only use chorus or tremolo for worship, my go to's are the mxr micro chorus and boss tr2 with the analogman mod. The modulation into the delay can be spacious or funky

velalv likes this.
  4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    especially for slap lines, a phaser is every bit as funky as an envelope filter =0)

But also it might simply be that the Q isn't the filter you need on stage, so try a few others - the MXR BEF is nice, not shrill, not too sharp and quacky.

velalv likes this.
  5. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Wonderlove.

velalv likes this.
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I had a Micro Q-Tron and found it difficult to use with bass. It had a jump in gain and a lot of harsh resonant peaks, no matter how I dialed it in. I ended up getting the EHX Enigma QBalls, which does a similar sound, but with much more control over the parameters, including an all-important blend knob. This pedal's been with me now five or six years.

velalv likes this.
  7. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I think you really hit the nail on the head here. I have a ton of gain coming from my Bongo bass, which has a super hot preamp. The bass (which is one of a kind) isn't going anywhere. So it will have to be the pedal. When I played the bass in the shop I used their passive jazz bass, and it sounded great with that. I don't have any passive basses, hence the issue

8. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    You have a point. I may try that, or the Aguilar Filter Twin, which I am still kicking myself for selling. I came into the thread thinking that a chorus pedal may do the trick, but the concept of a phaser or tremolo has caught my attention. I think the EBS pedal has some of these features.

9. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    the Filter Twin is a FANTASTIC pedal! I just wish it had a level control - too much volume bump for my tastes.

10. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Good point. I'll have to listen carefully for that next time I go out to shop. I have a good compressor but I run that first before going into my other pedals. Maybe the MXR is more sensitive volume wise. I'll have to check it out.

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    As has ben suggested, the MXR Bass Envelope Filter does the trick. Check it out.

For additional pedals, let me suggest an octave. I’m happy with the Aguilar Octaver, but there are many other good ones. Also modulation: A chorus and/or a phaser — TC Cronoa Chorus and MXR Phase 90 are my choices.

12. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well, teh MXR
    Well, the MXR also has volume knobs, for effect and dry. I love the sound of the filter twin though, better than the MXR.

13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    A compressor should go after the filter (and an octave). The filter will work better first in the chain where it receives more dynamics. Putting the comp first basically reduces the sensitivity and effect of the filter.

velalv likes this.