Which pedal to add "natural" 5th above / power chords? #guitarsound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Apr 5, 2018.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    So i´m trying to emulate a distorted guitar sound with my bass. I used to have the AKAI Unibass to fake the guitar but sold it, the internal dirt s*cked really bad. Now i try to replace it with better pedals:

- for octave-up i use the Tender Octaver MKI
    - for dirt i have many many options (Aftershock, Bad Monkey, Green Russian ...)

So which pedal to get the 5th above?

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  2. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I’ve been very happy with the Source Audio Nemesis and its ability to do more than delay. The shifter setting gives you a variety of intervals to add to your dry signal or take the dry completely out and transpose your sound. And if you’re used to the Aftershock you know there are limitless combinations via the desktop editor or app.

Edit: you may also be able to do the Octave + 5th with the Nemesis but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

There are a number of other intervals available as well, if you’re looking for different chord shapes.

3. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I use Line6 Helix LT for that & many other things

gregmon79 and Seanbassplayer like this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A power chord is a root + fifth. Which note are you trying to raise?
    If you are just trying to play one note, and have root/5 come out, why not play both notes, you have lots of fingers?
    I'm confused, and going back to bed.:whistle:

Dave W, sigterm, rtav and 4 others like this.
  5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    LOL - he's trying to stack a 5th on top of his octave-up from the mooer, it sounds like.

OP - The Unibass obviously will do it but you didn't like the dirt in it. Your mooer run into a Pitchfork (maybe also a Whammy or Ricochet) can be set to add another 5th, but of course if it receives the dry signal too it'll shift that note as well, so might want to split the +1 out before it (which the MicroPOG could do but I don't know if the Mooer can).

6. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    I used to use a sub n up for octave up ( your mooer pedal will work perfect) into an EHX Pitchfork set to P5 perfect 5th up and blend around 10am. It worked like a charm. The biggest issue us getting rid if the digital high almost synth type sound associated with the tone created. I found using an eq pedal after both pitch shifters helped eliminate this. Finding the right drive pedal is key to I as most overdrives didn't have enough drive and some distortions and fuzzs sounded to high gain. I found using a multi like the Zoom ms50g worked perfect as you can use the internal guitar amp Sims and create an effect chain up to 5 I believe so my chain was sub n up-PF-Zoom ms50g internal chain was znr- eq- drive- Chorus- amp SIM- Reverb into a tube guitar amp and sounded really good. I've since sold my pedalboard and effects and bought a Helix LT and works great for the same effect but a hella more options. Hope this helps. Cheers

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Haha

8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You can use any pitch shifter to do that. You have a lot of options for that. One of TB favourites is the EHX Pitch Fork.
    But you also have the Boss PS-6, the TC Quintessence, H9, Pitchfactor, Whammy, and a lot of multieffects options for that.
    I use a Behringer us600 that's cheap and gets the job done. I just don't like the way the footswitch works but that can be changed one day.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Apparently Mike Kerr of Royal Blood uses a Boss PS6 for the harmony to his octave up signal (generated from his Pog. Might be worth investigating.

Otherwise, the only other standalone pedal I know of that can do octave, 5th above octave (as well as 4th below octave) is the Fishman Fission. However, I understand the drive sound isn't that great, but you might be able to juice up the effect output with a better drive pedal and blend both signals back together.

FWIW, I'm seriously considering the Helix LT as it can do this and much more besides. (I switch between a 'stereo' signal and mono depending on the gig, which requires different pedal board. This would be so much easier!).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    sigterm and Seanbassplayer like this.
  10. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Yup that's what he uses.The only down Falk with that pedal is the tracking in poly mode can glitch sometimes but if you set the key signature it tracks way better. Only downfall is you have to set the pedal to whatever key the song is in and in a live situation one might forget to set the key. Pitchfork worked really well for me and as stated previously there are other options like th H9 whammy etc.

11. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    'Get a 12-string bass (like a Hamer Tom Petersson model), tune the high strings octave & 5th above, rig separate neck and bridge pups for separate outs from the bass, the bridge to a guitar amp with dirt, and the neck pup to a bass amp.

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A fifth above works, but not so well in the lowest octave - any non-linearity in your system (there is some, even if its just the speaker, and you'll be generating a difference frequency of half the fundamental. Low E is 41 Hz, a fifth above it 1.5 x that, the difference freq is the difference between those, or....21.5 Hz. That's a musically valid frequency (it's an octave lower E), but the demands it will put on your speakers and/or the PA will likely make things sound pretty ugly. An octave plus a fifth (the T Rex Quint pedal does that) is more likely to not muck things up so much.

I just play both notes, but not in the lowest octave.

13. Brian Dupre

Brian Dupre Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I've been using 5th up-- mostly with an Eventide H9 the last few years-- and have never experienced any speaker issues or strain even at high volume levels. This goes for both bass cabinets as well as reference monitors.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Nothing beats the Unibass or Bass Fission at this game.

eff-clef and five7 like this.
  15. I use the Fishman Fission pedal for this. It gives me an Octave up, plus a 5th above the octave. It also gives me a dry output for the bass signal and then an effect out for the octave and 5th. I run this output into a guitar simulator (I use an AxeFX, but a Line 6 POD would work well too) and then direct to the board on a separate channel. It really helps to beef up the sound when my guitar player is taking a solo.

Groove Doctor and five7 like this.
  16. Dan80sMan

Dan80sMan

Mar 8, 2011
    Memphis,TN.

This guy is doing exactly what you want.
    Obviously there are many pedals you can use to do what he is doing.
    But this gives you the basic order/layout of the pedals.

17. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Texas
    I use the Hog2 for this. You can add +oct as well as +5th over that octave.

2a1644971ba9b9a0ecdb45486b617a5b.jpg.cf.jpg

18. That whole pedal board does exactly what the Fission does, but the Fission is a hell of a lot smaller

dukeorock likes this.
  19. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Put the sub n up mini beside the PF and is smaller than fission as I think anyone with a fission won't use the internal drive and will add something like the DF7. Fission doesn't have phaser either.

20. Yeah... the internal distortion is very lacking (kinda sounds like those old solid state Crate amps). I used to run mine into a POD 2.0 that sat on my amp. Upgraded to the AxeFX. I'm using my guitar players old unit as he upgraded his to the new Axe8. Total overkill, but can't complain on the tone.

dukeorock and Seanbassplayer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021