1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which pedals are actual 'preamps'?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aniki, Apr 2, 2006.

1. aniki

aniki

Aug 12, 2005
    UK
    Hi all,
    Heres the crack. I have decided to re-jig my entire bass rig due to the fact that after buying my 'dream' valve bass head it simply isnt loud enough for the job in hand.
    So I'm planning on going the pre and power amp route.
    (Ok, I could slave off the valve amp but thats a damn heavy/expensive pre to be lugging around :)
    I already have a suitable power amp that will run in stereo, parallel or bridged.
    -
    Ultimately I will probably go for an RBI or BBT, but for now my question is:-
    Are there any cheapish pedal sized boxes that are genuinely suitable for preamp (and di) purposes? (IE, with some basic EQ that I can feed direct to the power amp)
    The reason I ask is that I have heard that many of the 'amp modeller' type pedals dont output the correct signal for directly feeding a power amp. They are more of a pre-pre if you get my drift.
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The sansamp bass driver DI, and the programmable version are both suited for this. The more recent ones have the level output switch that allow it to drive a power amp better. The old ones can do it as well, but they need a small modification.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1, I use my Tech 21 Para Driver as a pre! It's also great for recording :D

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    The Behringer BDI21 will do the job on a budget.

5. Get yourself a Bass Pod man...all the amps you'll ever need

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Just tried out my EHX English Muff'n as a pre, and it works wonderfully! I had it in the loop of my NS so that it wouldn't get noisy. And it doesn't just give you fuzz either: I set the fuzz/gain knob to 12 o'clock and got a nice clean, tubey sound that rumbled :D

7. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    MXR M-80