1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which pick do i have to use for picking

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by merolbassist, Oct 1, 2013.

1. merolbassist

merolbassist

Oct 1, 2013
    Tampa
    I have an epihpone tunderbird iv and I started with a gibson pick size 'H'.. Then im trying with jim dunlop '1.5mm', but when i pick i can hear the sound of the scratching between the plastic pick and the metal string of my bass... Which pick would be like made of a kind of plastic that will reduce thah noise..

2. tbear1776

tbear1776

Apr 8, 2013
    Try an Adamas graphite.

3. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    I don't often play with a pick, but when I do, I kinda like a Fender celluloid medium pick. More "boing boing" less "scratch scratch."

I'm not a fan of the feel of heavy picks, and light picks are pretty much a non-starter for bass. I'm also not a fan of nylon picks. There are a few other picks I've tried (a few thousand... literally. I've got a massive jar filled with picks of every shape and size and thickness and material imaginable... including a genuine bone pick and a few made out of shards of broken zildjian cymbals).

I think at the end of the day, the good ol' Fender medium is the pick for me.

4. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    If you can hear scraping, hold your pick flatter. It needs to be parallel to the string, otherwise you get that nails on a chalkboard sound.

5. When I use a pick I go with the 3.0mm Big Stubby.

6. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Use any pick you like. It's your technique that's making that sound. Work on making the pick hit the string perfectly flat and not an an angle.

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1. OP, it is more than likely that your technique needs more work. As for which pick....they are cheap, so try out lots of different types until you find the one that suits you the best.

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    +1. Within limits, any pick can be adjusted for with technique. Try a bunch of picks and notice how you have to change how hard you hold it, how fully you need to hit the string, etc etc.

I am currently playing with a 0.75, and a 3mm thick stone.

9. Oh-Oh. I like the scratch. I turn the Herco nylon around to the grip side to accentuate the scratch. It sounds like rock and roll. Horses for courses I guess.

Mugs

10. You might give a felt pick a try.

11. merolbassist

merolbassist

Oct 1, 2013
    Tampa
    4.5 /5 .... I bought 1 from ebay (8usd) ....looks nice

12. merolbassist

merolbassist

Oct 1, 2013
    Tampa
    I bought the jim dunlop celluloid medium and i didnt like it .... 3.8/5 ... And I bought a nylon pick with a good grip... 4.4/5

13. merolbassist

merolbassist

Oct 1, 2013
    Tampa
    Well ... Right now for me the best pick ia the jim dunlop jazz III color orange small size. ... I use it for play my electric guitar.. I need another one

14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The sound is mostly in your technique. You would profit by studying comments and links in this thread, which is about how Carol Kaye recommends picking. She's one of the greatest bass session players of all time so heed her advice.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/why-i-keep-hammering-carol-kaye-pick-method-452467/

Also, when picking, you might want to slightly turn the your EQ treble down and bass up to dampen the clacking/scratching noise.

15. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to use 1.5mm but the crazy thing is in the last few months i started using basically guitar picks, dunlop match pik which i don't know how thick they are cause i threw away the packaging and the picks don't say but i think it's definitely around .75mm. I'm getting a real good tone, surprisingly.

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    What kind of Dunlop are you using? I can't stand the sound of standard "plastic"/shiny/celluloid picks, but I love Dunlop's Tortex picks.

17. varunjh

varunjh

Aug 6, 2012
    Delhi, India
    Dunlop Big stubby or the Dunlop 2mm black ones with the gator on em are quite silent and i dont really hear the pick noise

18. This is the one I use when I use a pick (Dunlop Derlin .96). I like the tone and they last forever with round wound strings I've also use the green .88 Tortex but I have very dry hands and they're a little hard for me to hang on to. IME the tips of celluloid picks kept breaking off fairly quickly.
    9ef70c34-1981-41ea-9cee-9be0c9d67dde.

19. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I use the D'Andrea 347 Delrex rounded teardrop, 1.0 mm. Nice compact size and just heavy enough. It is virtually identical to the Gibson pick of the same shape that they no longer make. Back in the '70s I used a Herco Gold because that's what Chris Squire used. I like the D'Andrea better. Agree that Carol Kaye's technique makes sense.

Attached Files:

20. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    but when I do - I use Herco flex 75 nylon.

Stay low my friend!