Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pick ups for my custom?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 10, 2002.

1. I want to have a custom bass built, probably next year sometime, and I am working on nailing down the specifics.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

-4 string (fretted)
    -Neck through construction
    -Ash wings
    -3 or 5 piece neck, probably maple/wenge
    -figured maple (probably birdseye) fingerboard
    -exotic top, horse chestnut if possible

Now I am not sure which brand and kind of pickups to go for, as I haven't had the opportunity to compare a lot of them.

The sound I am looking for is very punchy and percussive, yet still somewhat natural and "wooden" in tone. Kind of like a Warwick Jazzman, I guess. (someone once suggested a Seymour Duncan Jazz Stack to me...?)

I know the maple fingerboard will already make the sound fairly bright. Should I counteract this with "warmer" sounding pickups like bartolini?

The body style will fall somewhat in between a Fodera Monarch and a Warwick Streamer, I think. Not sure if that matters.

Any input is appreciated!
    -Thorsten

2. umm, okay, 46 views, and no reply. is my question too vague? is my question stupid? what did i do wrong?

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Thorsten,

I will vote for Aero pickups. Larry can wind to spec any kind of pickup you need. His service is great, and these sound great. For what you want sound-wise, I'd suggest bar magnets for a bit more warmth. He also makes a Type II which has a lot more low mids, and less output.

Best of luck,
    Laurence

Here's his link:
    Aero Pickups

4. Thanks, Laurence, I'll check it out.

-Thorsten