Which pick ups for my custom?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 10, 2002.

1. I want to have a custom bass built, probably next year sometime, and I am working on nailing down the specifics.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

-4 string (fretted)
    -Neck through construction
    -Ash wings
    -3 or 5 piece neck, probably maple/wenge
    -figured maple (probably birdseye) fingerboard
    -exotic top, horse chestnut if possible

Now I am not sure which brand and kind of pickups to go for, as I haven't had the opportunity to compare a lot of them.

The sound I am looking for is very punchy and percussive, yet still somewhat natural and "wooden" in tone. Kind of like a Warwick Jazzman, I guess. (someone once suggested a Seymour Duncan Jazz Stack to me...?)

I know the maple fingerboard will already make the sound fairly bright. Should I counteract this with "warmer" sounding pickups like bartolini?

The body style will fall somewhat in between a Fodera Monarch and a Warwick Streamer, I think. Not sure if that matters.

Any input is appreciated!
  2. umm, okay, 46 views, and no reply. is my question too vague? is my question stupid? what did i do wrong?
  3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Thorsten,

I will vote for Aero pickups. Larry can wind to spec any kind of pickup you need. His service is great, and these sound great. For what you want sound-wise, I'd suggest bar magnets for a bit more warmth. He also makes a Type II which has a lot more low mids, and less output.

Best of luck,

Here's his link:
    Aero Pickups
  4. Thanks, Laurence, I'll check it out.